Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The good times keep rolling...

I can now say I've been to Hell and back and back again.  I spent approx. 5 hours there on Sunday.  For that is the amount of time that Sam took her lunacy to all new heights.  I am not sure it is possible for her to have acted out worse than what we experienced at Gatorland.  I really wish I understood why it took me so long to get to the point where I threw in the towel and called it quits.  Looking back now, I should've told Jen we'd be waiting for her in the car about 3 hours sooner than when I did.  I guess part of me was hoping that Sam would snap out of it and start enjoying being at Gatorland.  Throw in how hot it was, and I am not sure I've ever felt more miserable. 


Rigth before we entered.  This is the quietest and
Sam's best behaved moment all day.

Every scenario was running through my head on what I could do differently.   You know it's bad when you are standing in line to buy lunch and the guy in front of you gives a heavy sigh and says, "I can't believe she is still screaming!".  I told him, "Yep, that's my daughter."  He replied back with, "Wow, its amazing how she hasn't stopped."   That current battle was tipped in my favor when I refused to let her eat a pretzel for lunch and had to have something more substantial.  It only took 25 minutes before I got satisfaction and Sam ate a turkey wrap before getting the pretzel.  Which by the way, after eating the turkey wrap and finally getting the pretzel she so desperately wanted, Sam took one look at it and said, "I no longer want it."  Yes, this is what I am dealing with.

Jen and I hit the jackpot on Sunday evening. Lori and Ben asked us if they could watch the kids for us so that Jen and I could go out.  Um, yeah, you don't have to even finish that sentence before I said "YES!!".  Jen and I decided to go to The Enzian Theatre and see the movie "The Queen of Versailles".  Love the Enzian!  It's the kind of place where you get seated at tables and can order food.  How convenient we picked the 6:30pm showing and got some yummy salads to eat for dinner.  Meanwhile, Lori and Ben took all 5 kids out for pizza and frozen yogurt.  Then got them home and into their beds.  What a rockstar sister and brother-in-law I have.  This was a very much needed break for me and helped me face Sam again on Monday.

Monday was a bit better for us.  We went to the Orlando Science Center.  I have such fond memories of this place and knew that our group of kids would have a great time.  Plus, it was indoors and didn't matter how hot it got outside.  The timing of our visit could not have been better.  School has already started in Orlando and the place was pretty much deserted.  Having to keep an eye on 5 kids was super easy.  We spent close to 5 hours going from room to room.  The kids did love it as much as I hoped. Sam had 2 temper tantrums, but managed to contain both of them within 20 minutes each.  Not too horrible, considering how bad it could've been.  The Orlando Science Center still holds a high position in my favorite things to do list. 


Ian doing the weather forecast.

Simulating being on a bridge during an earthquake.


Simulating being in a hurricane.  That's a smile on her face.
Sam is actually happy in this picture. 

I am not sure if Sam being off her routine is causing this horrendous behavior or maybe that she is overtired.  Sam has become demanding, yells frequently and is quick to explode when she doesn't get her way.  I've spoken to my mom repeatedly who has offered to take Sam from me and keep her for a few days to give me a break.  Oh, how I would love that.  However, Sam refuses to go (and frankly its another fight I really don't want to have) and I'd feel very guilty if we were all having fun and she wasn't with us. 

We've got 2 full days left and then I head back to NoVa with Jen and her boys.  As of this moment, Dad/Rita, Lori/Ben, Mom/Jim are all very excited to spend time with Ian and Sam.  I hope they get the Sam that most everyone else sees -- the one who listens, behaves and goes with the flow.  It would be nice if this Sam is the one that hung out with my family while I am gone.

Stay tuned for more of Robyn's crazy FL adventure....

No comments:

Post a Comment