Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

THE Bet!

Ever since I discovered the tv show "Breaking Bad" I can't stop thinking about it.  Going from watching 48 shows as fast as I could to waiting now 7 full days for each new episode is an exercise in patience, one that I am not very good at.  Man, this show is good!  And I am not the only one who thinks so.  Around the time I discovered it, so many of my facebook friends did too.  It was really neat for us all to compare notes on which season we were in the middle of streaming and devouring.  Or, you'd hear bits and pieces of people talking about it and how crazy-insane-good this series is.  Just when you think it can't get any crazier, something happens that blows your mind.

I know Jeff appreciates quality television and would enjoy watching this show as much as I have.  And he too has been around a completely different crowd than my own, all commenting the same thing...."You've got to watch this!!"  Television doesn't get any better than this.

I was firmly convinced that once Jeff watched the first 3 episodes, he'd be hooked like I was and not be able to walk away.  I was so certain of this, that I made a bet with him over it.

ME:  I challenge you to watch the first 3 episodes of "Breaking Bad" and not feel the need to watch the next episode.

JEFF:  What will I get out of it if I do?

ME:  2 hours of really great television.

JEFF:  That's not enough.

ME:  Ok, then, what if I give up using the Amex card for the month of September?

JEFF:  Really?  You'll go without using the credit card for 30 days? 

ME:  Yes.  Not a problem.

JEFF:  How will you pay for things?

ME:  I will only use our check card, knowing that we have a limited amount in checking to use and will make sure I stay within those limits.

JEFF:  You got a deal.

ME:  Ok, but we have to watch the first 3 shows together.  I want to make sure you are not napping during them or on your computer or reading a magazine.  Your full attention has to be to the tv show.   And I need your word that you won't wikipedia the 4th show or any others.  Plus, I am trusting you that you won't watch any episodes when I am not around to catch you.

JEFF:  Ok.

Jeff and I watched all 3 episodes together on Saturday.  He said the show was good, but that he can easily not watch anymore until after he's won the bet.  Hmmm.  I do believe he so badly wants to win the bet that he has mentally turned himself off to wanting to watch this show.  I'll be interested to see what happens come October and I've got the credit card back.  How quickly he tunes into episode #4.  Should be interesting.

My part of the bet starts on September 2nd.  It should be interesting to see how well I do too.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment