Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

Snack Revolution

Good-bye Cheezits.  Good-bye Gold Fish.  Good-bye Muffin Bites.  Good-bye Granola Bars.  Good-bye Pretzels.  Good-bye Animal Crackers (frosted, iced, and plain!).  Good-bye anything-with-empty-calories and no-nutritional-value.

In a little less than a month, I am changing the way my kids think about snacking. I've come up with a plan and will implement it as soon as we get back from Florida.  As of September 2nd, any snacks Ian and Sam eat will need to be one of the following:
  • Fruit - any kind (grapes, strawberries, bananas, apples, etc)
  • Cucumbers
  • Carrots
  • Raisins
  • Cheese Sticks
  • Go-Gurt
  • Dried Fruit - as long as that is its only ingredient.  Trader Joe's Mango is the kids' favorite flavor.

I am making a sign with the above list and putting it on the refrigerator.  When the kids say they are hungry, they will be directed to make a choice from the list.  It's that simple.  No exceptions.  When we leave the house, a selection of snacks from the approved list will travel with us, packed in a small cooler if need be to stay fresh.

Ian and Sam are not overweight.  I do not make a big deal about what they eat and try to make sure they aren't snacking too much and are hungry for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  But their choices on snacks aren't the best.  That is no one's fault but mine.  Again, let me state -- I created this problem by buying these type of snacks in the first place.  They eat plenty of fresh fruit, but gold fish and cheezits win out the majority of the time.  By transitioning to healthier choices, I'll be helping them the rest of their life.  Not only hopefully from getting obese, but better cholesterol, better nutrition and habits that stay with them for the long haul.

I am so impressed with how easily we were able to wean drinking juice, that I've been inspired to try revolutionizing how the kids snack in between meals.  This is exciting!  As with juice, anything goes when the kids are at a friend's house or hanging out with other moms who have different types of snacks.  I am not going to completely ban it from their lives or else they will go crazy when they have the opportunity to eat it.  However, I am not going to buy it or have it in the house.  This will be enough of a change for them. 

Now, I just need to find the right time to tell them.

No comments:

Post a Comment