Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Beach Bound.

I know it seems odd, just as the new school year gets under way and we get used to our busy schedules, we take a week off to go to the beach.  But that's the way we roll!

My dad tries hard to bring the family together every year for a time-out from the hustle & bustle of our regular lives and give us a chance to hang with the family.  We've done Gatlinburg, Tennessee more times than I can count.  Cocoa Beach was the destination two years ago.  A cruise to the Bahamas before that.  And, we've even done a staycation that had us visiting various theme parks in Florida.  It really doesn't matter what the location is, being around the family is the best.  I adore everyone I am related to.  No matter what the situation, we laugh till our sides hurt.  And then, inevitably, we start reminiscing about previous get-togethers and laugh all over again.  Rehashing stories is what I enjoy best about being a Mazer girl.  That, and my superior driving skills. 

Tomorrow we will be in Myrtle Beach, SC.  We have (2) three bedroom condos to stay in from Saturday, 10/13 to Saturday, 10/20.  I think I am most excited about this upcoming trip because there is a good chance, I will get a bedroom to sleep in.  I usually end up on the pull-out couch in the living room.  Yes, I am the oldest of the three girls!  Yes, I am the only one to have given my dad and stepmother grandchildren!  You would think I'd have some clout and could pull my weight to snag a good bedroom.  In theory, every single year, there should always be enough bedrooms for me to have one.  But somehow, it is me, always me to end up on the pull-out sofa.

The only small hiccup in my grand plans of sleeping in a bedroom is the fact we are arriving a day later than everyone else.  My great friend, Wendy is getting married TODAY!!!!!! and we are staying local an extra day to see her get married.  Everyone else will be getting to Myrtle Beach on Saturday, and we won't arrive till Sunday afternoon.  As we all know, possession is 9/10ths of the law. 

But I am hopeful.  I think me being in a bedroom this year is actually going to happen.  It helps that I can now put Sam and Ian together in the same room if need be.  It also helps that Meghan has to leave Wednesday evening and get back home for school.  Therefore, Meghan isn't bringing a friend with her, which usually is the case each year.  So if I am doing the math correctly, Dad/Rita in one room, Lori/Ben in another room.  Meghan in a third room.  That leaves 3 bedrooms for my Toppall team and me.  It's actually even looking good that I could be sleeping in the same room as Jeff.  Wow, what a concept.

I am grateful to my dad and Rita for making these trips and time together a priority.  Other than a few days here and there doing side trips, Jeff, me and the kids have never had a full week off for a vacation together.  It's so nice that due to my dad and Rita's generosity this becomes possible. 

I am really excited about our trip and have some fun things planned for the week we are there.  It does seem a little "off" that we are going to a beach town after the summer is over, but knowing my family like I do, this just means less people around to get in our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment