Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

North Myrtle Beach, Part 3! - Dolphins

Each year we get together, Rita has a shirt made for us all to wear.  These shirts run the gamut from only-a-little-embarrassing to I'm-not-sure-what-she-was-thinking!

So far, my most favorite was the year that we all had written where we'd rather be.  My shirt said, "I'd rather be in Australia."   Jeff's shirt said, "I'd rather be in Vegas."  My sister, Lori's shirt said, "I'd rather be in Thailand." and so forth.  My dad's shirt said, "Well I am paying, so we will go where I want."  And that was the year we did the cruise. 

Our 2007 T-shirt and my personal fave.

Then there was the year Rita tried to get creative and had these little cartoon characters that was supposed to be representational of us, printed on the upper right hand corner of the shirt.  Jeff's was a business man carrying a brief case, mine was a woman holding shopping bags, etc.  The main problem with this idea was that it was printed on a black t-shirt and we all looked like we were black (or African American, if I am going to be politically correct).  I still laugh every time I see Jeff wearing his shirt around the house.

This year, the idea was "We put the fun in dysfunctional".  The green color shirt could not be any louder, unless it glowed-in-the-dark.  Actually, it probably does.  This makes our group of 9 even easier to spot and take notice.  But the shirt also serves as a warning to all those we are about to encounter.  :)




We are only required to wear the shirt once during our trip. Usually, its the first opportunity when we were all together, out in public. It should be noted that we get paid handsomely by Rita to wear the shirt.  And the theme of the shirt is kept top-secret until the big reveal, which happens when we come together.   This shirt alone has become a bit of an 'event' in itself.  I must admit, I am most impressed that even Sam has been trained to not question wearing the shirt, no matter what it looks like.  This is one area she goes with the flow.   

On Wednesday, we signed up to do a dolphin cruise, wearing our shirts.  The boat can hold 130 passengers, but on the day we went, only about 35 came aboard.  Considering we were 9 of those passengers, it was perfect for us.  I am really enjoying going to all the hot-spots and not having to deal with the typical peak-season crowds.

The Sea Thunder guarantees you get to see The Dolphin.  And if you don't see The Dolphin, then you can ride again for free.  Yes, the website actually calls it The Dolphin.  This got me very suspicious and made me think they keep a dolphin caged up, ready to release when we are sailing by.  Fortunately, it was just bad Website copy and it wasn't one specific dolphin they were referring to. 

The ride out to the ocean was scenic and the sea was calm.  We passed two bald eagles hanging out in a tree.  Definitely not something you see every day. 



 Then the Captain brought the boat to a stop and said this was where we'd most likely see dolphins.  And, boy did we!  It was unbelievable and such a beautiful site.  There were dozens and dozens of dolphins all around our boat.  They were jumping out of the water and a few did some really cool flips.  It was so incredibly cool.  I am pretty sure almost everyone on the boat was in awe of all of this dolphin action as much as I was.  As the Captain put it, there had to be about 50 to 100 dolphins, all very close to our boat.  It was magical.




The dolphin cruise went beyond our expectations.  We loved it!  And the best part was, no one got sea sick!

Two of the Captain's helpers to get us back to the dock.




Stay tuned for North Myrtle Beach, Part 3! - Hanging out.

No comments:

Post a Comment