Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

Coming to a mailbox near you.

Our holiday card mailing list originally got its start as the invite list to our wedding.  It was an easy way to begin getting the addresses needed to send out our annual holiday card.  Jeff and I call it our "Master Address List" on the computer.  As we hear of friends or family that have moved throughout the year, we do our best to keep it updated.  And as we make new friends, we add their name/address to the list to have in the future.

Each year, I order 100 holiday cards and usually have a few left over as extras.  This year, however, the 100 I ordered didn't go nearly as far as I thought it would.  I guess our "Master address list" is in desperate need of cleaning out.  Jeff was helping me stick the labels on the envelopes and we kept asking each other who all these random people were.  I thought for sure they were friends of his and he was thinking the same thing about me.  Turns out, we had about 4 people's names/addresses we had no clue who they were.  And, the funny thing is, these people have been getting a holiday card from us for the past 8 years. 

We ended the evening in side-splitting laughter thinking about these people's reactions when they opened up a card from us (for almost a full decade) and they too, were wondering who we were.  I also put in a second order for more holiday cards.  Clearly 100 wasn't enough.  Even when we took off the relatives that are suffering from alzhemeirs, we still fell about 5 short. 

But, at least I'm getting better.  This year's holiday card is an appropriate size.  For some reason, I didn't fully see the dimensions of last years card when I ordered them and it turned out to be the size of a business card.  You know those cutesy kind that school age kids hand out in class for Valentine's day?  Yep, that was about the size of it.  I wasn't sure they were even going to pass postal standards because the address and stamp took up most of the envelope.  Hahahahaha.

Maybe next year, I'll have all my ducks in row and will have enough cards in the right size, to mail to everyone THAT WE KNOW!  That will surely be a Christmas miracle.  :)

1 comment: