Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Homework :(

I hate homework.  There, I said it.  I don't let Ian and Sam use the word "hate", but I personally will in describing my disdain for the work given to kids to do at home.  I didn't enjoy homework when I was growing up and I certainly don't enjoy watching Ian have to do it.  

Ian spends more than enough time at school each day.  I don't understand why homework has to come home with him.  When you factor in religious school on Tuesdays (4:30pm to 6:15pm) and gymnastics on Mondays and Wednesdays (4:00pm to 6:00pm) fitting in homework becomes a burden.  We are not casually sitting around in the evenings wondering what we should do to fill our time.   By the time Ian gets home on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of each week, eats dinner, helps clear the table, and takes a shower, it barely gives him any downtime with Jeff before he has to be in bed at 8:15pm, let alone have time do his required nightly reading and other school work.

Ian is in 2nd grade -- does he really need 4 different things to do each school night (Reading, Math, word study for their spelling words, and a response question or drawing based on their reading)?  I am so over it.  To be honest, I was never in to it.  For anyone worried about me "projecting" my feelings onto Ian, don't worry, I put on an excellent game face.  As far as he's concerned, he thinks I think homework is the most important thing in the world.

Ian and I have mapped out a strategy.  Other than the 15 minutes of reading each night and the pre-test for his spelling words on Thursday evening, we try to get the rest of it all done while Sam is at her swim lesson on Monday afternoons.  So far, so good.  But I know this is not how the teacher intended for the home work to help reinforce what they are learning at school.

I'm not saying that I could ever, EVER home school my kids, but there is some appeal to the idea that home work wouldn't exist if I was their teacher.  Yes, I know, its a very scary thought that I could be Ian's sole teacher.  We will quickly abolish that idea and get on the home work bandwagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment