Pages

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Ice Skating

We tossed around a few ideas on what we wanted to do on Saturday.  We had the whole day free!  Ice skating won with the most votes.  Believe it or not, it was Jeff's idea to do this activity.

Jeff doesn't ice skate!   Sam's never been ice skating!  And Ian didn't want to ice skate!  Sounds like a winner to me, right?   I was in shock when Jeff suggested we go ice skating OUTDOORS at the Reston Town Center.  Um, hello!  It's in the 40's and very, very windy.  What about being outside was going to be a good idea for us to be ice skating?  I quickly rerouted us to the Fairfax Ice Arena, off of Pickett Street, which is fortunately indoors.

We all got ice skates on and made our way to the ice.  I was going to be the most steady on my feet, so I took on helping Sam.  Ian was in charge of helping Jeff.  Ian's big advice for Jeff was "Stay close to the wall and hang on."  Good advice if you ask me, considering that Ian was not going to be able to hold Jeff up on his own. 

Sam and I get on the ice first.  Right away, she starts slipping and freaks out. All I can make out in her high-pitched voice is "I don't like this at all".  Ian is quick to suggest that she gets off the ice and calls it a day.  I bend down to Sam's height and tell her I will not ever let go of her hand.  I also tell her she can put her other hand on the wall and hold on.  That seems to make her happy (well, as much as Sam can be when doing something terrifying and exciting all at the same time) and we are off to go around the rink.  When I take a look behind us, I see that Jeff and Ian have barely moved from the open entrance to the rink.  They are technically on the ice, but they are not skating.  I am not sure exactly what is going on there, but I know that Ian doesn't want to be there to begin with and Jeff is not a fan of ice skating.  They make a lovely, motivated couple. 

By the time we make it all the way around, Sam is loving ice skating and is starting to build up some confidence.  She still refuses to let go of my hand and the wall, but she has a smile on her face and is very happy to be doing this.  Meanwhile, Jeff and Ian have had enough and can't wait to tell us that they are done.  They are taking off their skates and turning them in. I'd say score one for Fairfax Ice Arena on this cost-to-skate return on their investment.

Sam and I continue to make our way around the rink, again and again.  She is doing really well, but every time she slips or falls, she is quick to scream at me, "LOOK AT WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!!!"   If I could've left her there on the ice, I would've.  I did nothing but offer her help and hold her hand.  The best was when she would get her balance back and start stomping her feet and screaming at me.  She was having a temper tantrum on ice. Actually, that would be a great musical "Temper Tantrum on Ice" coming soon to a theatre near you. Tonya Harding can play Sam.  :)

It was fabulous and there was no place I'd rather be  (said very sarcastically).  I kept offering Sam to take a little break to sit down for a minute or two.  She would then scream back, "NO, LET'S KEEP SKATING!!!!"


First moments on the ice.  Not entirely sure what to think.

She likes it!

Ohhh, she is so not happy!

We finally leave the side of the wall!

But then Sam slips and proceeds to yell at me and stomp her feet.
 

After skating continuously for a little more than an hour, we called it a day and turned in our skates.  I think I can wait more than a little while before trying this family outing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment