Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Hitting a new milestone

A few weeks ago, I picked Ian up from school and was reminding him that we had about 30 minutes before having to leave the house and make our way to Sam's swim lesson.  Ian asked if he could stay at the house by himself.  Hmmmm, why not?  At age 8 (according to the State of VA), Ian is technically allowed to stay by himself for up to 1.5 hours during the daytime. 

Ian turns 8 years old in about 2 months. In anticipation of this, we've been quizzing Ian at random times what he would do in various situations if Jeff and/or I am not at home...the doorbell rings (does he answer it?  Nooooo!), the phone rings (does he answer it?  Yes, if he recognizes the number, but never say we are not home.), he gets hungry (does he cook himself something?  Noooooooooo!  But he can get himself a snack, piece of fruit, drink), etc.

Ian has a great head on his shoulders.  I was ok with him staying home when I took Sam to her swim lesson.  From the time we pulled out of the driveway to our return, it would be almost a full hour.  We called Jeff and asked him his opinion.  I wasn't about to make this monumental decision on my own.  Jeff spoke with Ian for a few minutes and then gave his blessing too.

During the 55 minutes we were gone, I called Ian 3 times.  Every 15 minutes, I checked in on him to make sure he was ok.  The first two calls his voice sounded a little shaky.   By the 3rd call, he said it was going great and he was very happy to be home. 

I can't wait for 3 more years when Sam turns 8 and she can stay home too.  Then I can go to the swim lesson all by myself.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment