Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

Books


I just got done reading a great book, "Orphan Train".  Thanks to Heather's mom for the recommendation.  It was the kind of ending that had me in tears with happiness.  I didn't want it to end.  I had fallen in love with these characters and I wanted the story to go on forever.  It was the kind of book that I woke up at 5:00am on Saturday morning (with 50% finished) and was not getting out of bed until I was at 100%.  It's so funny how with kindles you no longer think in terms of pages read, but with percentages.

After I was done with "Orphan Train" I consulted my list of what I wanted to read next and picked "The Interestings."  However, here's the thing; this book doesn't stand a chance.  I can't bring myself to start it.  The thought of having to get to know new characters right now is making me cringe.  This book has to start off with a bang to get me to keep reading.  It's almost a curse when I read I book I really, really, really love. 

With other books when this happens I quickly dive in to EVERYTHING the author has ever written.  I did this with Jodi Piccoult ("My Sister's Keeper" started that off).  I did this with Chris Bohjalian (Hello "Midwives"!), Jonathon Tropper ("This is where I leave you") and would've done it with Wally Lamb if it wasn't his first book that got released was when I discovered how great he was.  It's like I keep reading until I get burned out on their particular style of writing and have gotten my fix.

Maybe at some point I will go back and read other things the author of "Orphan Train" has done.  But right now there are so many other books I want to get to.  It's an interesting conundrum.  I love to read, but I want all the books to be as good as what I just finished or feel like I shouldn't even bother and start watching mindless tv.  Let's hope "The Interestings" is well, interesting.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment