Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

Counting Stars

Ian has a song he has become quite fond of.  It's by One Republic called "Counting Stars".  I think from the moment that Ian first heard this song he has been singing some part or another of it continuously throughout his day.  It's gotten to the point that Sam has joined in.  Neither of them know the exact words, but do a good job of making up similar sounding words that fit in the tune.

Ian asked to have the song downloaded on his iPad.  This was way before the song started getting overplayed on the radio.  I wanted to make sure I got the band name correctly and said, "Is it by One Direction"?  Ian says, "No mom, if it was by One Direction I wouldn't want it."  Too funny!  Even at age 8, Ian has good musical taste.

While I was in the process of downloading the song, I found the words and told him what was actually being said in the song.  That helped greatly with listening to both kids sing this song ALL THE TIME.

For the past few weeks, every single time we get in the car, the song starts playing on the radio. Every single time!  It is the strangest thing.  We will be taking Ian to gymnastics (which is all of a 5 minute drive) and the song starts and ends perfectly in our time frame.  2 hours later, we are back in the car and the song starts and ends again during our short, little drive.  We go to the bus stop in the morning and the song begins playing as soon as I turn on the car.  Every morning!  Coming back from the gym in the morning, I'll hear the song and smile to myself.  It is so strange how this song keeps following us around.

After listening to the song over a gazillion times, the kids and I still haven't gotten tired of it.  Ian hasn't needed to play it on his iPad because we hear it so much during our day in the car alone. 

I guess this is much better than Miley Cyrus' Wrecking Ball which had been the song d'jour on the radio before this one.  Fortunately the kids didn't jump on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment