Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2014

And he's off!



It was a crazy scene and there were 75 kids on Ian's flight going to camp.  He didn't know anyone!!

I can't believe I was okay putting Ian on a plane by himself.  What was I thinking!?!?!   When the big day came, I started questioning my judgement.    Maybe I should quickly purchase a last minute ticket and join him.  I could go there and back all in the same day.  As long as I was available to get Sam from school at 3:45pm, it could've been our little secret.

However, Ian was great.  He didn't cry or look like he was even close to wanting to cry.  At one point he did look a little nervous and I asked him if he wanted to be able to sit next to Lori, the one adult chaperone assigned to his flight.  Ian nodded yes and I went to work.  I liked being a mom with a mission.  Anything to help me (and him) feel better about this experience. 

Lori was amazing and immediately said "Yes".  In fact she went one step further and immediately told Ian she would LOVE to sit next to him.  Lori instructed Ian that once Ian gets on the plane, save a seat for her next to him.  She would take the aisle and he would have the window.  She said she needed to board last, but he should get their seats closer to the front of the plane and she'll find him.

It was only after Ian got on the plane that I allowed the tears to flow.  All the parents who were doing drop-off waited around until the plane backed away from the gate and started down the runway.  A big cheer could be heard at Gate 7 as the plane took off.  Aw, there goes my baby.

Lori (completely on her own, I didn't even give her my cell phone #), texted me a few hours later and told me that Ian did great on the flight and she was very happy to have him as her seatmate.  She then said she made sure he connected with his counselor once the bus pulled into camp. And Ian instantly went to him and took off.  Lori is now my new BFF.  Love her!!

Ian is now at camp.  I am now a mess.  I am stalking the website looking for him posted in the photos section.  I've doubled my efforts in communicating with him and send him emails daily (sometimes 2 a day) and also put cards in the mail.  It has become a full-time job letting Ian know we are thinking about him.  I am doing my best to not write "I miss you".  I want him to have fun and not worry about me missing him.  But PUHLEEAZE!!!!  How can I not miss him!?!?! 

I can only hope that he writes me a letter (that I get) before I leave for Israel on Sunday. Ian can only do snail mail.  So this not-so-patient mom is doing her best to occupy herself with other things than waiting for the mailman to deliver the mail. 

I don't know which was more momentous -- Ian getting on a plane not knowing anyone or me being ok with it.  It's hard to be a helicopter parent in these conditions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment