Pages

Sunday, June 8, 2014

My Calzone

I've gotten creative in the kitchen!  I am sure I mentioned this previously, but when I got married, my biggest concern was what I was going to feed my future family for dinner each night.  I had no idea how to cook (even the basics like a grilled cheese sandwich).  I was very happy with a big bowl of popcorn and calling that my dinner.  I had enough sense to know that any husband or kids I'd be lucky enough to call my own would need more sustenance than that.  I started collecting many simple, easy to make dishes that my family enjoys eating.  I can follow a recipe with the best of them!  Well, most of the time.  :)  I now have a great rotation and most dishes get made once every 4 weeks.  Not too bad!
 
A few months ago I tried something new.  I had no recipe to follow.  I experimented with tastes that I felt went together and that I knew Jeff and the kids liked.  I created a CHICKEN PESTO CALZONE!  Yes, me!!!!   I make my own pizza dough for our Sunday pizza night and had made a double batch one week. 
 
Using this extra ball of dough, I put in the following filling:
  • Grilled or Rotisserie Chicken
  • Scallions (sliced)
  • Mozzarella Cheese
  • Pesto Sauce - made from a marinade
  • Oregano, Basil, Garlic Powder
I roll out the dough pretty thin.  Put all the filling on one half and fold the other half of the dough over the filling.  I press the edges together and brush the top of the calzone with a little olive oil.  I bake in the oven and voila! dinner is ready.  Jeff and the kids love this dish!!  I also put some of the pesto sauce on the side for dipping.  Ian dips, but no one else does.  This is one yummy dish!!!
 
 
Fresh from the oven, with a golden brown crust.

Cut and ready to eat!
Makes me hungry just looking at these pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment