Pages

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Can't let it go.

I’ve got a new obsession.  It’s called Idina Menzel.  Ever since I saw her in the preview of “If/Then” at National Theatre and then saw her again when the show went to Broadway in NY, I’ve been listening to her non-stop.  First it was the Broadway recording of the musical, then her “Holiday Wishes” CD came out – way before Thanksgiving and I’ve been listening to that.  So much so, that Sam was questioning why we were listening to Christmas music and it wasn’t even cold out yet.  I guess the song “Baby, its cold outside” loses something when you are wearing capris and a t-shirt.

Idina Menzel has been everywhere!  She has got one heckuva a publicity tour happening for her CD.  It’s been great seeing her do the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade, listening to her DJ the IHeartRadio show, watching interview after interview on all the morning shows and reading all the articles in the magazines/newspapers about her.  I’m loving it!  It adds fuel to my fire.
Imagine my delight to find out Idina was doing a tour.  My friend Susanne and I decided the show in Baltimore would work better with our Summer schedule.  Both husbands were quick to join in and up for the road trip.   All I needed to hear was when the presale was happening and I could go into action. 
I got lucky, there was an American Express presale being offered a day before the Fan presale; which was two days before tickets went on sale to the general public.  The minute the clock stuck 10:00am, the website was launched and I purchased tickets.  We will be 13 rows from the stage, on the left hand orchestra side.  I realize now these are great seats without paying the additional inflated prices for the few front rows that were packaged as Platinum, Gold and Silver VIP seats – those were ridiculously expensive.   Believe it or not, for the first few hours (ok, days) I was bummed that I couldn’t get front row center.  What is wrong with me??  Why do I keep thinking that I will magically get the best seats they offer at a reasonable price?  I do this to myself time and time again.  I remember when my friend Amanda and I back in high school camped out all night for George Michael tickets.  I walked away disappointed that we were in the second section of seats on the field.  Come to think of it now, those were awesome seats!   For those few hours leading up to the tickets going on sale, I have such high expectations that I will be in the front row.  I guess it’s my eternal optimism. 
I am excited about the concert.  Idina has a phenomenal voice – I call her this generation’s Barbara Streisand.  Only she must be better than Barbara Streisand because even Jeff loves listening to Idina.  And I can’t get Jeff to listen to Barbara.  J    We are going to drop off the kids at Jeff’s parents’ house.  They will watch the kids for us during the show and then Jeff & I will crash at their house afterwards.   I love having a show to look forward to attending. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment