Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Ian and email


Watch out, Ian is on the loose emailing everyone.

For the past several years, Ian has repeatedly received a “2” (on a scale of 1 to 4) for one of his music grades.  The one specifically he gets the “2” on is “Singing appropriately”.   This has been troubling Ian deeply.  He takes his studies very serious and wants to do the best he can.  Each quarter the progress report comes home and he sees that “2” again under the music section, he asks us why this is.  We tell Ian as long as he is doing his best, it’s ok and not to worry about.

Since all of Ian’s other scores are 3’s and 4’s, Jeff and I have never been bothered by Ian’s 2 in music.  Neither Jeff nor I are singers, nor can we hold a tune, so it must be genetic.   Ian finally had enough being troubled by this score and decided to do something about it.  He emailed his music teacher.  All on his own.  He did show me the email before he sent it, but it was 100% thought of and generated by him, in his own words.  He looked up the music teacher’s email address on Blackboard and sent it on its way.  About an hour later, Ian had a reply from the music teacher.  And sure enough, Ian met with her the next morning and found out what he could do differently to get a better grade. 

I love this kid! I am so impressed that he had a problem, found a solution and took action.  I know it was hard for him to confront his teacher.  But he did it!  Way to go Ian!  I would’ve never had this kind of confidence to do something like email a teacher when I was his age.  Actually, I was just happy if I got a passing grade and wasn’t looking to make more work for myself with wanting to get better grades.  Back in the day, I am sure I even hid from my teachers after-hours, let alone would’ve willingly emailed one – that’s assuming we had email back when I was in school.  This part of Ian's personality must come from Jeff. :)

Below is a copy of the email Ian sent to his teacher. 

Hi Mrs. X,

[I am Ian Toppall from group C and I have music on Wednesday]

I hope its ok that I am emailing you but there is a question I have been wanting to ask. I have not had the courage to ask you in class.  Why did I get a 2 for singing appropriately in class on my report card last quarter? Is it my tone? How can I improve?

sincerely
Ian Toppall

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mrs. X’s reply:

Dear Ian,
Please come see me after the announcements tomorrow. I will be happy to speak with you.

You are a wonderful student and I have some ideas for you to try.

Sincerely,
Mrs. X

 

No comments:

Post a Comment