Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Movies

Going to the movies has become fun again.  I LOVE what our local theatres are doing to elevate the movie going experience.  Get this! Regal cinemas are installing full on recliners in every single one of their theatres.  How awesome is that?  To be sitting in a comfy recliner (complete with a little table attached) watching a movie on the big screen…ah, bliss!  

And Mosaic District has reserved seating available for the same price as a theatre that doesn’t offer it.   You can pick exactly the seats you are going to sit in, go eat at one of the nearby restaurants and not worry about getting to the theatre much earlier than when the movie starts.  You’ve already got your seats reserved!  

In an increasing trend, most every theatre is now offering full bars and a wide range of food – beyond the traditional hot dog and nachos.  

I used to get excited when a theatre I went to had stadium seating. That seems so year 2000 now.  :)

It was very necessary the movie theatre industry did something to get people back out there.  With streaming services running rampant and high tech televisions so readily available, I am sure movie ticket sales were suffering.  I love that someone somewhere decided to bring their ‘A” game and make going to the movies an event.   It was getting to be a bit too much with only making almost every single movie in 3D hoping to get people to show up.  

I am so excited, not only for myself but for my kids too.  Ian is now at the age that he is enjoying seeing movies.  When we were at Aunt Lori’s, a commercial for the new, updated version of “Annie” came on and Ian said, I want to see that movie.  Then a few minutes later, a commercial for the “Night at the Museum 3” (Was there even a “Night at the Museum 2”!?!?!) came on and Ian said, I want to see that too.   Without missing a beat, Aunt Lori told Ian, “Ian, that’s one thing you don’t ever have to worry about.  Whatever movie you want to see, you will go see.  You mom loves the movies.”   Why yes, I do.  

With all these changes, it just keeps getting better.  I may be wrong, but I think even Jeff said he wouldn’t mind seeing a chick flick with me if it was done in a recliner.  Oh no, does this mean Kelly and Jen (my main movie watching buddies) have competition?  Probably not, someone has to be home to watch the kids.   And going to the movies has been my means of escape.  In my opinion, there are few ways better spent than 2 hours at the movies.

On a related side note:   I am saddened and disappointed in Sony's decision to not release "The Interview".  By letting North Korea dictate what we can watch, go, and do means they won.   It becomes a very loud sign to North Korea that we are wimps and cowards.  This is not what the USA is about!  We stand for freedom, courage, and bravery.  I hate, hate, hate that North Korea is getting their way.  They are bullying us and winning.  Haven't we learned yet from past events in history that we need to stand strong and not cower to them or any other country for that matter?? 

If by chance Sony changes their mind and does release the movie, I will be the first in line to see it.   Come'on Sony, show North Korea who they are messing with.  Release the movie EVERYWHERE, don't charge people to see it the first weekend it is opened and get the theatres jam packed with our people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment