Pages

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Dinner fail.

Jeff's idea of a good restaurant to go when we want to eat out, but its not a special occasion, is any restaurant that does not require a tip.  For example, Cava, Chipotle, Noodles & Company and Pei Wei are all worthy contenders.  With every rule there is an exception and in this case, Spartans is on Jeff's pre-approved list too as he finds it reasonably priced, conveniently located and a great selection of food.  Even though Spartan's is a full sit down restaurant with wait staff, this Greek diner has become a family favorite.

Usually every Sunday I make homemade pizzas for dinner.  It's typically a winner with the family and something easy and healthy to do as the weekend winds down.  I get creative with the pizzas and make two awesome combinations (cheese, chicken/pesto, white pie with mushrooms, etc).  Fun, right?

This one particular Sunday, Jeff suggests we forget the pizzas and go out for dinner.  And to make this idea even sweeter, Jeff says I get to pick out the place we are going.  AND, I can pick anywhere!  Yes, any restaurant!!   Just as long as its within a normal distance from the house.   WOW!!

So I give this offer a lot of thought.  And believe it or not, the very first thing my brain gravitates towards is to decide between Jason's Deli or Spartan's.  OMG!!  How pathetic am I??  I can literally pick anywhere in Fairfax County; ANYWHERE!!!!  I am not being restricted by where the kids wish we'd go, I'm not being restricted by counter service only; I am not being restricted by any particular cuisine to stay away from and all I can think of is to figure out if we should go to Jason's Deli or Spartan's.   Once I say to Jeff what I'm currently debating, he is shocked that I am not considering more of my favorites where we don't go to often enough in my opinion.   Yes!!  I fully realize just how sad this is.  What has happened to me that this was my first thought???

I now geographically travel around in my mind all the restaurants I love to go to.  I consider the ones that I know the kids enjoy eating at too.  I take away all the places that I know that are ridiculously expensive and more like a special occasion type place.  I take away all the ones where it would be hard to get a table and there could be a wait.

I now have an awesome list of 4 places.  4 restaurants that I would be thrilled to go for dinner.  4 very different places in 4 very different directions from our house.  4 places that I hadn't been to in a while and I'm looking forward to going back to.  I have mentally picked out the entree I would order at each of these 4 places and my mouth is watering.  Bingo!  I've finally settled on a place.  The winner is DGS Deli in the Mosiac District.  DGS Deli is an upscale deli that has some amazing potato latkes, the best french fries Jeff has said he ever had, and the most fabulous pickles appetizer.   Jeff and I had been a few times to eat there but the kids had never been.  I knew the kids would like this place too and I was excited to introduce them to DGS.

We drive to the Mosaic District, Jeff drops us off at the corner and proceeds to go find a parking spot.  As we are waiting for Jeff to join us, I notice from the outside the restaurant looks dark inside.  Really dark.  Ian goes to take a closer look and comments that the restaurant is dark because it is closed.  CLOSED!  And not because they decided Sunday evening wouldn't be a good idea to be opened, but because the restaurant is no longer in operation EVER.  OMG!

I am finally given a choice on picking a restaurant and I blow it big-time!!  My one chance when no one in the family was going to voice criticism on where I wanted to go, where I could pick anywhere I wanted and I blew it!

My other top 3 picks were no where near the Mosiac District.  Seeing as it was 6:00pm, I couldn't really expect us to get in the car and relocate to another place.  Once we saw DGS Deli was closed, we naturally started walking to Ted's Bulletin.  It was a non-spoken, we-are-all-on-the-same-page kind of movement.  Don't get me wrong, everyone in the family LOVES Ted's Bulletin including me. But I had just met my friend Molly for dinner there one week prior.

It turned out to be a nice evening and everyone was pleased with where we ended up.  The kids especially loved getting one of their specialty milkshakes and getting to take home 4 of their homemade pop tarts to have at home.

All I could think of as we were walking away from a closed DGS was 'I threw away my shot.' (A nod to "Hamilton" lyrics).  I was given a rare opportunity and I blew it.   I will have to do better next time.  IF there is a next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment