Pages

Monday, April 17, 2017

RSVPs

I am co-hosting a baby sprinkle for my sister, Lori.  It's this Saturday in Orlando.  The planning and prep work is pretty much done and I am now just waiting to fly down with Samantha for a long weekend at home.  It will be nice to go away for a few days and be with the family.

The shower invites went in the mail close to 6 weeks ago.  I put my phone number on the printed invitation and waited for Lori's friends we invited to call me.  And waited and waited and waited. Only one person called to let me know if they were coming.  Only one! 

After a bit investigative work, I come to find out everyone thought the phone number I put on the invite was my cell phone and it would accept text messages.  So yeah, the women were texting their rvps to me.  WHAT????   It never occurred to me that this would happen. That these women would automatically assume I was looking for a text rsvp.  Is this what our life has become in the digital age we live in?  I guess I am in another generation.  Don't get me wrong, in my day to day I text A LOT!  I have a group of friends I text all the time with.  However, I would never think to text a response to a printed invitation to someone I don't know.  I just wouldn't. It doesn't seem very proper.  Has Emily Post even covered this??

Here's the thing I don't get...fine, these women tried to text their rsvp to my home phone.  BUT, each text attempt would have come back as undeliverable and given an error message.  Why then did they not try to call the phone number as their next course of action???   I'll tell you why, because they thought the phone number had a typo on the invitation and that's why it didn't work.  OMG!! 

After tracking down email addresses for each of the 18 people I needed to hear from, my sister tells me that no one has a landline anymore.  We are both very old school that we still do. And that we still use it.   Lori found the whole thing quite humorous.  I'm not at that point yet where I can laugh about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment