Pages

Friday, April 21, 2017

Teary-eyed.


I am not sure what has happened to me, but I get very emotional now over the littlest things.  Maybe the pregnancies messed with my hormones and they never recovered, maybe I just find myself being moved by something really touching.  I don't know.  I've just accepted it and gotten on with my life.  I'm not really surprised much anymore when my eyes start to water.

Lately it's been happening when I witness a truly fantastic performance.  Something so awesome that the talent is just oozing from the performer and its hanging in the air around me.  This is even more so the case when its a live production.  Seeing "Kinky Boots" for the first time in London last year...that performance by Simon at the end of the show was nothing short of spectacular.  I couldn't help but tear up listening to him belt out that huge number.  It was a show-stopper!

Watching the movie "Hidden Figures" is another example, only this wasn't live but viewed in the movie theatre.  Both times I saw the movie, I was moved to tears by the story (especially because it was true!) and of course the acting.  What an amazing movie.  I loved every single minute and I was sad when the movie ended.  I could still be sitting there watching these women, wanting more. 

The last time I got emotional over something fantastic was going to see "Chicago" at the Kennedy Center.  Ian and I went to a Saturday matinee earlier in the month.  I had seen the show years ago when it was at the National Theatre.  But it was Brandy's phenomenal performance that moved me to tears this time around.  I had no idea she was that talented.  Wow. This girl IS Roxy Hart!  Actually the whole production was top-notch.  Everyone did a stellar job.

Of course, just sitting in the theatre in these amazing seats (6 rows from the stage, dead center in the  middle of the row!) waiting for the show to begin had me tearing up. Getting to experience this with Ian after all the times we listened to the soundtrack in the car, knowing how much he was going to enjoy the show and fully appreciate seeing a production live like I do made me get emotional.  I love my kids so much and getting to do things like this is what life is all about.  These are the moments I hope he looks back on and realizes how special it was for us to be there.   Oh no, here I go again, tissue anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment