Pages

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Time for a little rant

There have been a few things bugging me lately. I just can't keep silent any more.

Online articles where the info is not conveniently located on the first page.  You know what I'm talking about...you see a great headline, like "The 10 things you never knew about Tom Cruise and Katie Holme's relationship" or "Chrissy Metz loses weight!  See what she looks like now!"  or "Child actors, where are they today?" and countless others of tempting pieces of breaking news.  You want to click thru to see this awesome story.  So you take the bait and click the link.  You leave the comfort of your Facebook newsfeed and soon enter Internet HELL! 

*They* (for lack of better of name calling which most likely wouldn't be lady-like) give you one little tidbit of information, teasing you to read on, and the next thing you know you have to click "Next" to get more.  The page is riddled with ads; big, huge square boxes of advertisements, for everything under the sun that you will never, ever need.  A full 20 clicks later and along with waiting for every single one of those pages to load, you are now officially done with the article.  And you know what?  Those 10 relationship reveals weren't that great...noooooo, they were pretty lame.  And the weight loss Chrissy Metz is celebrating wasn't that spectacular either.  By the time you get to the picture at the end of all those clicks, I am sure me and her have each gained 20 pounds.  That was a good 20 minutes I will never get back.

I am hereby declaring I am done. DONE!  If I click thru the article and it isn't all conveniently located on the first page, I am not taking the bait.  I am not clicking "Next" even if my life depended on it.  I have had enough.  No matter how juicy the headline is or how much I want to see what these child actors look like today, it isn't going to happen.  Maybe if more people take a stand and refuse to click "Next", the click-thru rates will drop and the format of trying to get our attention with all these annoying ads over multiple pages will change.  I realize this wouldn't happen overnight, but maybe, just maybe, we can make change happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment