Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Longest day of my life

Fortunately I was able to get out and go to the movies earlier in the evening. Because what I came home to was not pretty. Around 10:30pm, Jeff started to freeze. He couldn't stop shivering and no amount of sweat pants, sweat shirt and layers of blankets helped.

Now Jeff doesn't get sick often, but when he does, watch out. It hits him hard and not only does he suffer, but I do too. I liken Jeff being sick to being on his death bed. He is very dramatic, moans and can barely move. The only way you know he is still breathing is because of the moaning. Meanwhile, he takes his temperature every 30 minutes and reports how high his temp is. Granted, he gets these really high fevers that usually top out at 102.5 for hours on end. And that's even with Tylenol helping to bring it down.

When he is sick like this, I know it will only last 24 hours and then he begins the transformation to his sweet self again. Fortunately he gets exactly 24 hours of me being sympathetic before I can't take it any longer. His 'bugs' generally don't require a trip to the dr, but if it lasted beyond one day, then I would personally take him there myself. The sooner he can get some medicine prescribed, the better it is for all concerned.

Ian and Sam were phenomenal during this last bout of sickness and didn't question not being able to go in our room or interact with their daddy. Give him his space to get well and bring lots and lots of water. Jeff does a great job of staying hydrated and I do an excellent job of being his nurse. But only for 24 hours. After that, all bets are off.

No comments:

Post a Comment