Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Couch potato label up for grabs

According to Wikipedia: A couch potato is a person who spends most of his or her free time sitting or lying on a couch. This stereotype often refers to a lazy and overweight person who watches a lot of television. Generally speaking, the term refers to a lifestyle in which children or adults don't get enough physical activity.

I can fully admit, I was a former couch potato. I embraced the idea of popping a HUGE bowl of popcorn and getting comfy on the couch watching hours upon hours of tv. If you didn't find me at the movies (usually doing a double or even a triple feature), then you could count on me to answer the phone if it rang at home. Being a couch potato was my thing and I was more than okay with that.

Something miraculous happened over the past couple of years. It started very slowly and incredibly subtle, but a change has metamorphosed within me. I am now an athlete. Yes, you read correctly, I used the term "athlete". It is surprising to even me. I didn't fully realize the change that occurred until the other day.

As most are aware by reading earlier posts of my blog, I put myself back on my to-do list and this involved getting to the gym on a more consistent basis. Since early April I had been going every morning at 5:15am and working out. It became habit and I usually went through the motions of waking up, getting dressed and driving to the gym on autopilot. Over the weekend, my husband expressed interest in getting on the fitness bandwagon and going consistently too. If he goes in the evening he has a hard time falling asleep before 1:00am. I've got a lot more flexibility in my day and offered him the 5:00am time slot to work-out. This is our first week of trying the new arrangement. On Monday I woke up incredibly grumpy and stayed that way throughout the day. It wasn't until I made it to the gym at 7:30pm that night that I could fully realize what I was so badly missing. My body has started to crave the exercise. The benefits I am getting by going to the gym has become more than a great way to continue my weight-loss efforts, it is also providing big-time benefits to my mental well-being.

I am finding great satisfaction in pushing myself and seeing what I am capable of. You don't know what is possible until you reach impossible. And I am finding that there is very little that is not possible. I am inspired beyond my wildest dreams to keep going.

For 43 weeks now I've been doing Weight Watchers. Having lost 40.2 lbs so far, I know I am doing well and will keep going until I eventually get to my goal weight (16 lbs more to go). But the changes I am seeing in my body is phenomenal and goes beyond a number on the scale. I've never been a vain person before, but now I have problems walking by a mirror without stopping to admire the new me. Things have gotten tighter, firmer and even my 'skinny' clothes are getting baggy. It is a great feeling. It's taken a long time to get to this point, but I think I am finally understanding the transformation that has taken place.

I've not only changed the physical aspects of myself, but the mental too. I am now one of those people who needs to work out regularly and be active. I've always been known for picking the movie/meal combo for my birthday activity with the girls. Tomorrow we are going to a indoor rock climbing gym in Alexandria. I am so excited about trying a different type of exercise and pushing those limits even more of what I think I can do.

So without further ado, I hereby declare I am no longer a couch potato.

No comments:

Post a Comment