Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

FINALLY!!

I love technology; love it, love it, love it. I embrace every new invention with open arms and can't wait to get my hands on the latest gadget to see what it can do. Some of my favorite inventions have been the computer (hello Internet!), the microwave (good-bye long cooking times!), the iPod (good-bye Walkmans!), the DVR (good-bye VCRs!), and the digital camera (good-bye film!)

My first cell phone came in 1989 when I left for college. 21 years later I still have the same cell phone number. I refused to switch cell phone carriers until number portability was available. I absolutely love my blackberry and don't even have a job that requires one.

Living on one salary has been 4 1/2 years of compromises. I wouldn't trade one day with being home with the kids for any of the latest gadgets. It is more than worth it and I am very happy with the choices we've made. I am also happy that Amazon.com sent me a $300 iPod Touch completely by accident. If it wasn't for them, I am sure we wouldn't have one of those in our household either. But as I've said before, Apple made something brilliant and it has become so invaluable to us that if it broke, we would have to replace it immediately. Plus, in a matter of months, we will become a 2 iPod Touch household when we get Samantha one. Yes, it is that much of a lifesaver when traveling by plane or long car rides.

To my delight, we were given money by my dad and stepmother for Hanukkah, with the clear instructions that it had to be used for fun -- no college fund and no bills. Last year when faced with this windfall, Jeff and I put the money in our savings account and used it in September to celebrate our 5th anniversary. We went away for the weekend and it was wonderful. This year Jeff came up with the brilliant idea to use the money on a wii. Yay!! To say I am excited is an understatement. For 3 years now I've longingly looked at the wii and its games and accessories. We've played it many times at friend's houses and at my sister's place. We've bowled, boxed, played tennis and golf. I've done the wii fit balance board, the step aerobics and hula hooping. Plus, there are so many other great games and fitness exercises. And, I've asked my mommy friends for suggestions for games for Ian and can't wait to introduce him to them.

Look, I am not trying to replace Sunday pizza and game night. There is something very old fashioned and wholesome about playing non-electronic, classic board games with the kids, but I feel like we are finally entering the year 2000. :)

In my effort to always get a great deal, the price for a wii officially went down to $199 from $249. And, Target this week was offering a $30 gift card with the purchase of one. Can't pass up a good deal like that, right? I guess it was good to wait 3 years and 24 days for us to purchase one. Not that I am counting or anything.

1 comment:

  1. ha ha...don't worry, you're not the last ones...we don't have one and I don't see it happening any time soon!

    ReplyDelete