Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A little bling never hurt anyone

It has been almost a full year since I lost my engagement ring. I have no idea when it even slipped off my finger. I am pretty sure it was when I was cleaning the house and it may have fallen down a drain, the toilet or in a bag of trash. We retraced my steps, turned the house upside down looking for it and to this day, I still look for it when walking around the house and find myself in a closet or sticking my hand in various places. Fortunately we had insurance and received the check within a few weeks of putting in a claim.

However, according to Jeff: He worked hard to buy that ring. He saved his money, put a lot of time and effort into picking out just the right one. He put his heart into it and it can't be replaced. You only get engaged once.

Me, however, has a different theory. Yes, I loved that ring. Absolutely adored it. I appreciate all Jeff did to get me it. It was a beautiful princess cut solitaire diamond in a platinum setting. And, I felt absolutely heartsick that I lost it. I was in a big depression for days over the whole episode. BUT, this is why you have insurance. And the ring is only a symbol we are married - that particular ring does nothing to make us more married. But the ring does give the message that I am taken and not a single mother of two.

By the way, I should make note that since losing the engagement ring, Jeff asked that I take off the wedding band and put it in a safe place. Something about him not wanting me to lose that one either. Once I get done losing all the weight I am going to, then I can get it resized and put it back on.

The only way Jeff saw putting a diamond ring back on my finger was that over the next 20 years or so, he would work and save his money again and surprise me with another engagement type looking ring at a 20 or 25 year anniversary. Seeing as we have only been married 5 years, this was going to be a long time to wait for a diamond to reappear on my fourth digit.

The money has been sitting in our savings account while we go back and forth rehashing our very different views about this. The closest compromise we've gotten is that instead of a traditional engagement ring, I get an eternity band and wear it next to the wedding band. However, Jeff still feels very strongly that this is wrong and can't be happy for me getting the ring. I very much want Jeff's blessing and will continue to go without until he is on board.

To my good fortune, Bailey Banks and Biddle is going out of business. Jeff realized that a lack of a ring will be a continuing sore point in our relationship and that the 40% off being offered was a great deal. As Jeff said he wanted to "get this issue behind us so we never have to talk about it again", he finally agreed to buy a ring. I picked out a very pretty 5 stone diamond ring as an eternity band would've been difficult to resize and Bailey, Banks and Biddle was not taking any orders. The rest of the insurance money is going toward our 2010 car insurance bill.

Looking back, it is no wonder that the original ring fell off. My ring size went from 5.25 to a 4.75. Yowzer!! I had no idea that my finger is that small now. The ring never felt that big. I promise to do my best to keep this one on my finger. I do.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, but Jeff was being ridiculous in his stance against replacing the ring.

    From all of your previous posts, we all know that he is a wonderfiul husband and father, but COME ON.

    I undestand his emotional attachment to it (i.e., he worked hard, etc.), but how about YOUR emotional attachment to a symbol of being happily married? Sheesh! Has the man never heard the phrase, "diamonds are a girl's best friend?"

    Now then, a photo please?

    ReplyDelete