Pages

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Getting into the Christmas spirit

This is the first year that Ian truly realizes we do not celebrate Christmas, nor will we ever. And, because of this, I believe he has a strange fascination with the holiday that seems just out of his reach.

For the past few weeks, every time we find ourselves in the car driving when it is getting dark, the Christmas lights get more pronounced on houses throughout the neighborhoods. I will hear Ian muttering under his breath, "they have Christmas lights, they have have Christmas lights, they celebrate Christmas...." And it goes on and on until we get home.

The other day Ian asked me if we will see Santa. I told him, only if we are at the mall and watch kids go sit on his lap. He said, "nooooooooooo, will we see Santa deliver presents to our neighbors? Can we see Santa go to Fritz and Kat's house?" These are our neighbors who are in their 60's that live across the street from us. I wasn't sure how to answer this. I mean, do I keep the magic of Santa alive for a 4 year old Jewish boy? I didn't want to be the one to tell him that Santa wasn't real.

I am sure none of this helps that during this time of the year I listen to 97.1 on the radio. They play Christmas music 24/7. I love all the songs and happily sing out loud to my favorites. I am sure I am sending some very mixed messages to my kids.

I did download an album of Hanukkah music on iTunes so that I could give equal time to our religion. Can you believe they were actually able to include 25 songs about Hanukkah? Who knew? It was a great find and I was certain it would do us all some good when driving around neighborhoods filled with Christmas-lighted houses. Of course two of the songs on the album titled "Hanukkah - The Basics" is Adam Sandler's two versions of the Chanukah Song. Gosh, I love these songs. And I think Ian might too. The other night I heard him getting ready for his bath singing "...what a fine-looking Jew".

It all balances out in the end, right?

2 comments:

  1. Here's how I like to position my relationshiup with Christmas to my gentile friends: I very much APPRECIATE other religions' obervances (and yes, that can include enjoying Christmas carols), but I don't participate in them (no sitting on Santa's lap).

    Maybe that can be helpful with Ian (and Sam down the road).

    ReplyDelete