Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

Plenty of the white stuff 2

Here is the scene at the Toppall house on early Friday afternoon. I am in my bedroom and watching the show "Mercy". I had to DVR it because when it aired on Wednesday evening I was at the grocery store stocking up for the rest of Winter. :) Sam was in her room napping and Mom, Jim, Jeff and Ian were downstairs.

Rumors were that I was napping. The door was closed so I guess I could see how that would appear to be the case. Towards the end of the show I am smelling lots and lots of smoke. Then I hear the smoke detector go off. I put 2 and 2 together and am now worried that the downstairs is on fire and decide to go investigate. For a split second I am a little concerned and wonder if I should go get Sam out of her crib and take her downstairs with me. I didn't know if this was going to be my one opportunity to grab her and make a run for it. I hear Jeff's voice and feel better knowing that I will find everyone still conscious. There is smoke everywhere. A fire has been started in the fireplace and the window located next to it is wide open trying to clear the smoke out.

So it is now freezing downstairs and there is smoke all over the place. Not a pretty scene. Mom, Jim and Ian are sitting on the couch watching all of this. Jeff is looking for a flashlight so he can see if the flue is open. He knows that there is one in our bedroom, but he didn't want to come in and wake me up.

With one fell swoop, I go to the fire place, put my hand up to the flue and open it the rest of the way. Problem solved. Leave it us to keep it exciting even staying indoors.

1 comment: