Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Valentine's Day

The movie was good. Very good. And we all enjoyed it, probably a little more than we should have. I am sure we didn't make any friends in the theatre that night and even more sure that there were a few moviegoers who wished they picked a different time to see it.

But you have to understand, we had all been cooped up in our houses for way too long. The blizzards gave us more quality time together with our kids than anyone could willingly want. There was no school, no playdates scheduled, no getting out. We had a date on the calendar to gather a few mommy friends and make a beeline for the movies. "Valentine's Day" was our target. It has a fabulous cast, chick-flick written all over it, and who doesn't enjoy a good love story? The idea to go see the movie was long decided before any forecast of the first blizzard and of course, the 2nd blizzard had been spoken. The words 'movie with Kelly' was written in pink marker for the night of Monday, February 15th on my calendar and stood increasingly lonely as various plans preceding it days prior kept getting cancelled.

There was a small amount of excitement as the weatherman kept forecasting more snow for Monday afternoon/evening. We could expect 1 to 3 inches to fall in the NoVa area. Oh no!! Nothing was going to ruin my plans to get out and enjoy one of my favorite pastimes. Going to the movies is truly the only thing I miss getting to do now that I have kids. I quickly emailed a few of us and made them promise that no matter how much snow we were to get, we could still go. In all seriousness, I would've understood if it wasn't deemed safe to drive. No matter how much I love the movies, I wouldn't want anyone to risk getting hurt.

I believe we were all on the same page and started getting disappointed when we saw heavy snow begin to fall around 4:00pm. And it was sticking!! Oh no!! Make it stop!! Fortunately, Mother Nature heard my cries of desperation and ended the snowfall.

There was 7 of us total. 7 mommy friends who hadn't experienced the joys of school being opened for the past week and a half. Yes, we laughed a little too loud. Yes, we cried at a scene in the film that only the 7 of us could truly appreciate. Yes, we made comments without even trying to whisper. And, yes, we all gasped (pretty loudly) when we thought a particular on-screen kiss was about to happen.

But so what? We were 7 women who really needed a night out. Are you going to mess with that?

Oh, and for those who thought this blog entry was going to be about Jeff and the actual holiday, I will tell you what he got me. He tracked down and surprised me with gluten-free cupcakes from CakeLove. Yum-O! The bigger surprise came when he managed to keep his plans a secret and not tell me in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment