Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

March New Year's Resolution Experiment

A quick review on February's challenge; to give up all snacking after 7:00pm each evening. I will come clean and admit that in 3 instances throughout the month of February I did not stick to my plan. Two involved being out for the evening and going to the movies. Hello!?!? You really can't expect me to sit in a movie theatre and not munch on popcorn, can you? And the 3rd time was, funny enough, as I am writing this blog entry. I am not sure what my thinking is right now on breaking the no snacking rule, but the irony of it all is right up my alley. :)

Overall, I do feel I accomplished the goal I wanted when coming up with this challenge. I consumed less calories by not getting carried away eating at night. I felt like I was back in control. And, I am happy to report that I've gone another month soda free! Ok, I did have one diet coke a few weeks ago at the movies. But the temptation to want to drink diet sodas has completely vanished. In fact, the one diet coke I did have 6 weeks later surprised me that I didn't enjoy the taste as much as I usually do.

As before, I will continue to give up soda and snacking after 7:00pm. Although, all bets are off on the no snacking thing if I am out for the evening!!

Now allow me to announce March's challenge: To stop double-booking, triple-booking me and the family. I've gotten into a seriously bad habit of saying "yes" to every invitation and then figuring out how to make it work. I am driving me and everyone around us crazy. For example, this past Saturday's schedule was as follows:

8:00am - gym for a training run (Robyn)
9:00am - grocery store to buy the necessary items for the company we were having over at lunch time (Robyn)
10:00am - shower, clean/straighten the house (Robyn and Jeff)
11:00am - begin cooking/preparing lunch
12:00pm - 4 adults, 3 kids, 1 baby enter the house for lunch/playdate
3:30pm - All company leaves
4:00pm - Attend 2 year old's birthday party in 2 cars (Jeff, Robyn, Kids)
5:30pm - Make my way to Tyson's to meet up with The Girls to celebrate Ivy's birthday; pick up Kristin along the way (Robyn)
6:15pm - Tyson's Corner for dinner and movie (Robyn)
6:30pm - Leave 2 year old's birthday party and go home to put kids to bed (Jeff, kids)
11:00pm - Come home (Robyn)

Granted, this was a particularly full day, but to some degree our timing on going to and from various activities is always this tight. Going forward, I am going to accept the first invitation that comes our way and say no to everything else that has us running around like a chicken with our heads cut-off.

Here's the problem - I am a very social person. I love getting together with friends and know that the kids do too. I want us to have full, active lives and be able to get out and do things.

No more! I pledge to stop and think before I automatically reply yes to everything. I promise to take a good look at the calendar and make sure that we have plenty of downtime and I don't feel stressed running from one thing to the next. Unfortunately a lot of the month of March is already booked. But I will take each week as it comes and if it looks like it will be too much for us to do everything, then I will politely cancel the most recent invitation.

Wanting to be everywhere, doing everything, seeing everyone is now going to get a makeover. Yikes! I hope I am up to this challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment