Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2010

It takes a village

I had a lot of friends before becoming a mommy and having children. I've been fortunate to make some amazingly close friendships that no matter where I live, we will always be a part of each other's lives. I've spoken time and time again about "the girls" and am thankful that I have them. Beyond having a great time together, I know I can count on them and they can count on me.

But I found an unexpected treasure in the friendships I've made since having kids. Giving up my career and staying home put me in a whole new world. I didn't know anyone else who stayed at home and I wasn't entirely sure what a new mommy does with her day when she doesn't really have to be anywhere. Surely you don't stay in, watch Oprah and eat bon-bons? And, there are only so many trips to Target and the grocery store you can make in a week.

About 6 weeks after Ian was born, I joined my local MOMs club and instantly bonded with a few of the women in the club. Many daytime activities were planned for us and in the down-time we organized our own get togethers. We would go to the baby-friendly movies, meet for lunch, check out the various play areas, go to the park/playground, and on many, many occasions each other's houses. Our kids were babies together and now 4 1/2 years later, they love and adore each other. Furthermore, our group has grown and now the addition of younger siblings (sometimes 2 or 3) have made it all the more livelier.

There are few of these moms that are my favorites. Women who amaze me in how they keep it together, can laugh at the craziness, and relate to the madness. Women who I can call at a moment's notice and tell them I am having a tough day and know that a playdate will be arranged within 5 minutes. Women who offer to take one or both of the kids so I can go to a drs appt by myself or have the opportunity take just one child to their appt. Women who will track me down in my car enroute to pick up my son from preschool and throw out the invitation to drop him off at their house on my way home for an impromptu playdate; thus allowing me some wonderful "me" time while Sam takes her afternoon nap. Women who drop everything they are doing when they hear you are in labor 4.5 weeks early and very quickly come to your rescue and wisk your 3 year old away until the grandparents can get here. Women who love to do the near impossible and take a gazillion kids blueberry picking or the National Zoo in 95 degree heat during the summer and knowingly mess up the much beloved nap time. Women who feel as fortunate as I do that our kids get along as well as they do because we love spending time together too. Women who lend that extra hand without being asked and swoop in to help parent when we are out and about doing something with the kids. Women who still want to hang out with you and go to the movies, once the kids are in bed and they finally can get some quiet time. Women who have 3 or 4 kids and make it look effortless.

I can't imagine going through motherhood without these fellow moms by my side. Just thinking about it makes me cringe. I know as our kids get older, we will not need each other as much, but I hope that our kids will remain good friends and realize the history that exists. I worry that Ian will make new friendships in kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd, 3rd, etc and want to go over to these boy's houses after school and on the weekends. I am not going to know the parents like I do my mommy friends. How will I know Ian is walking into a good environment? How do I know what their parenting style is like? I wish (as I am sure Ian does too) that we could just all go to the same kindergarten next year together. That these kids can continue to be each other's main buddies. It would make my life so much easier. I may get lucky and meet some new amazing women, but in my heart I'll know they just won't compare to the first set I've met.

My Toppall team and I showed up at just the right time for each of us to make some amazing friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment