Pages

Friday, March 26, 2010

McWhat?

When I was pregnant with each of the kids, my big craving was McDonald's McFlurries. It was strange, because it wasn't something I was used to eating before getting pregnant, but once the craving kicked in, I HAD to have one. There was something about the McDonald's frozen treat that was not easily replicated by any other brand of ice cream or dessert-type restaurant. Only a McDonald's McFlurry would do.

A few times we would be driving on I-95 through Maryland and of course buzzing by all the exits with signs for McDonald's would get me salivating for a McFlurry. I would tell Jeff to do a quick drive-by and get me one. Much easier said then done. First let me say, it is very deceiving when there is a sign posted that a McDonald's is going to be off the exit and when you go to drive there, you find you are more than a 5 minute drive from the exit ramp. What is up with that?!?! There should be a law that makes it illegal to advertise it as an exit stop if it is more than 1 mile off the highway. This is just my opinion, but I think it would cut down on road rage. Apparently no one at the Department of Transportation agrees with me because all along I-95, every exit advertising a McDonald's is a good 10 minute drive off the interstate. How frustrating!! And then when you do finally get there, the McFlurry machine is not working or they are all out of the ice cream mix. On one particular trip, it got to be incredibly frustrating after making three non-successful stops, which took up a good 45 minutes of our time, that I felt compelled to call the Governor of Maryland at the time (Gov. Ehrlich) and tell him what I thought. Considering it was a Friday night, I had to leave him a voicemail. For some reason, he never returned my call. I am sure it was the pregnancy hormones talking, but I was OVER IT thinking a McDonald's would be thisclose to the exit and then come to find out it was more trouble than it was worth to get to it.

It got to be a joke between Jeff and I that it usually took 3 or 4 McDonald's before we could find one that actually had the item I wanted and could sell it to me. Not just on I-95, but McDonald's everywhere in NoVa were having McFlurry machine operating problems. The harder it was for me to get one, the more I wanted it.

Anyway, I digress. We found ourselves back on I-95 the weekend of March 20th to go to Cherry Hill, NJ and do a playdate with my 1st cousin Leslie and her two kids. It was a fabulous weekend trip and the weather was gorgeous. On the way back home, we needed to stop for lunch and decided on McDonald's. It wasn't our first choice, but the restaurant options in Jessup, MD were pretty slim pickings. And, this McD's just happen to be located near the exit. I can count on one hand how many times a year the kids eat McDonald's. Eating fast food is not something I want them to get in the habit of and start asking for. I'd much rather seek out a Panera Bread or a Cosi for a fast food type lunch option. I have to say, this McDonald's was stunning. Really. The bathroom was beyond clean and the whole restaurant was sparkling. I made a comment to the manager behind the counter how great his place was and he said it was relatively new. Ah, maybe Gov. Ehrlich did get my message and had the powers-that-be build this McDonalds just for me!

While sitting at the table eating our lunch, I got nostalgic for my old McFlurry cravings and commented to Jeff on how I would love to get one, but I really didn't want to eat it in front of the kids and giving them sugary sweets was not something we wanted to do at this time of the day. Jeff said we could all get in the car when we were done eating, go thru the drive-thru and I could probably get away with having it without them seeing while continuing our drive home. I thought about it a little longer and decided, I would get one and all of us would split it. I knew the kids would enjoy it and it would help control how much I was eating if I had to share it with the others. I enthusiastically went up to the counter and ordered a M&M McFlurry. Only to be told that the machine is not working and they can't do any kind of ice cream treat. I couldn't believe it! More than 5 years later after getting pregnant with Ian and I am still having problems finding a McFlurry. It was actually pretty funny and without even needing to explain to Jeff why I came back to the table empty-handed, I just sat down and we laughed.

2 comments:

  1. Did you seriously call the Governor?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I did!! You have no idea how incredibly frustrating it was to try to find a McD's that was supposedly near the I-95 exits they said they were to be. I admit it was a bit "over the top" to call the governor and leave him a message (complete with my name and phone number), but I was 7 months pregnant and very agitated!

    ReplyDelete