Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Yes, that's my boy!

Please allow me to kvell (Yiddish word: to be extraordinarily proud; rejoice) for a moment.

Ian's teacher in the pre-k class started a new system to encourage good behavior among the kids. Each day, the children start off with 3 points and over the course of the day, they can lose a point or regain a point depending on how well they listen, act, share, etc. Upon dropping Ian off at class one day last week, Ms. Beth (his teacher) asked if I heard about this new behavior chart. Instantly, Ian spoke up and said, "I forgot to tell my parents about it." Regardless of the fact that every day at dinner, we ask Ian to tell us all about school and what he did that day, I will continue on with my story and get to the good part.

After Ms. Beth explained the new system they are implementing, she pointed to the chalk board and showed me all the kids' names and the numbers assigned next to them. I fully expected Ian to have a 3 by his name, but wasn't expecting him to be the only one with a 3+. Ms. Beth felt compelled to give Ian the "+" because he was the only child to say "thank you" when being given snack that morning. Out of 12 kids, my little guy came through and showed that he has manners.

I was smiling all morning long, until it occured to me -- could I have an Eddie Haskell in the making? You know, the boy from "Leave it to Beaver" who had impeccable manners and was the epitomy of being polite in front of adults/parents? And the minute Eddie was left alone with Wally and the Beaver, all the scheming and trouble would begin -- usually being led by Eddie.

I'd like to think that Jeff and I are doing something right and Ian being polite is just coming naturally. He is only 4 1/2 years old, so for the time being I'll continue to be naiive. Way to go Ian!!

No comments:

Post a Comment