Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Time machine

On Wednesday I was at Sam's My Gym class and Miss Carmen had the movie soundtrack "Footloose" playing in the background. First let me say, I never felt so old when some of the moms in the class hadn't even been born yet when this movie came out in 1984. I can remember like it was yesterday sitting in the theatre watching it.

When the song, "Holding out for Hero" came on, I was instantly transported back in time to when I first got my drivers license. I was driving my dad's convertible Corvette, with the top down, blasting this song, taking the car to 100mph and more. Looking back, I can see this was foolish and consider myself very lucky that I never got stopped or worse, got into a horrible car accident going so fast. But this song calls for speed! And there is something about having the wind rush through your hair, leaving the dorky teenager behind and feeling cool, if only for 3 1/2 minutes.

Ah, how my life has changed! Now, 23 years later you can find me in a My Gym class for toddlers, listening to the same song, playing with my 21 month old. I hadn't heard or thought of that song in years. I went home and downloaded it on iTunes, adding it to my playlist "running". What a great, fast-paced melody it will be for me to run to. On Friday, when I was nearing the end of a 5 mile training run, the song came on my iPod. I heard the familiar beat and my feet picked up the pace feeling a little lighter. I upped the speed on the treadmill and ran a little faster. I did this for the awkward teenager I felt like back then, and the empowered woman I've turned into today. It was a great feeling.

BTW, to any parental units who may be reading this, I only drove like this a few times. And my top speed of 135mph only happened once. :) Don't worry, I definitely don't drive like this now; especially with 2 kids in the car. I never go more than 8 mph over the speed limit these days.

To hear the song to which I am referencing, please click below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc6zCpiGoUA

No comments:

Post a Comment