Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

26.2

I am reading a book right now called, "The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get off your butt and on with your training.

In a million years I never thought I could do a marathon.  Heck, I am not sure I even want to do a marathon.  The amount of training involved is very time-intensive.  Not to mention, that race day is spent pretty much all day long running.  I am almost certain it would take me at least 6 hours (if not more) to cross the finish line.  It really doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.  Do you know how many meals you would miss in 6+ hours?

However, I've been looking for something a bit over-the-top and spectacular to do to commemorate the year I turn 40.  I've been spending a lot of time, usually at night when I should be sleeping and not spending time listening to Samantha scream/cry in her sleep, trying to come up with ideas.  I want something that is going beyond my comfort zone and is a once-in-a-lifetime type activity.  Something that when its over, I will have felt it was worthy to wait 40 years to accomplish. 

I've got a few contenders I am considering, but nothing that requires the discipline and training a marathon involves.  And other than skydiving, I am not sure the finish would be as exhilarating either.

Anyway, this book I am reading is pretty damn inspiring.  As I am reading it, I can envision myself actually running a marathon.  And I am not a runner!!  Yes, I know I've dabbled in running some 5ks, 10ks, and did the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler twice, but when I tell you, that every single step is a struggle, it is.  Running does not come easy to me.  It takes all my effort and will power to keep one foot in front of another and then repeat, repeat and oh yeah, repeat again.  It is a sport that I do solely based on the feeling I get when it is over.  That rush of adrenaline that I just did something I never thought possible.  Something that a large part of the population wishes they could get off the couch and do. 

I may not run the fastest or farthest, but I am pushing myself every time I am out there.  I am competing only against me, no one else.  I strive to do better than my last run. A lot of the time this is not the case, but I never give up trying.  It's all mental with me, and the mind games I play go a long way to helping me achieve my goal.  Simply to finish.

I am really enjoying the book.  It is very funny and written by someone that I think I could be good friends with.  She breaks it down and is incredibly relatable.  She is not an athlete or some kind of fitness super-hero.  When she started her training, she wasn't even a runner either. 

I am so intrigued.  Very, very intrigued.  But is it enough to commit?  Is this going to my icing on the cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment