Pages

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Miss Independent

Here was the scene at our house the other afternoon: 

Ian (age 5.5 years old):  I'm hungry.  Can I have some goldfish?
Me:  Sure, I'll get you some.

I get Ian's wash from his room and take it downstairs to the washing machine. 

Ian: Hey, where's my goldfish? 
Me:  I will get it for you now.

Meanwhile, Sam (age 2.5 years old) comes into the kitchen, gets her step stool and brings it over to the junk drawer.  Finds her pair of child-friendly scissors (right next to the really sharp pair of scissors) and takes her step stool over to the pantry.  Opens the pantry, gets out a 2 pt Weight Watchers caramel flavored bar, closes the pantry door, and moves her operation over to the kitchen counter.  Gets back up on the step stool, takes the scissors and opens the wrapper to the caramel bar.  Gets back down, puts the scissors back in the drawer, takes her opened bar and joins Ian on the couch.

She didn't ask me for a snack or tell me she was hungry.  She went about her business and helped herself to what she wanted.  She put a plan in place to make it happen and went on her way.  It was pretty impressive.  I wonder if she can teach Ian how to get his own snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment