Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Bad Mother of the Year Award, Reason #240

Lest anyone think that only Ian is the sole focus of my bad parenting skills, here is a great example of how Sam became the target on Wednesday of this week.

My friend Susanne and I decided to walk Burke Lake Park during the one hour and 15 minutes I have free in between dropping Ian off at kindergarten and picking Sam up from preschool.  Foolishly we thought we could do the 5 mile trail around the lake within the allotted time.  Even with walking a very brisk pace, sometimes even doing a slow run to get back to the car sooner, it still took us 1 hr, 45 minutes.  Oh my!  I was 25 minutes late picking up Sam.  And it wasn't even like I was stuck in traffic or at a drs appointment longer than expected.  Nooooo, I was late because I was out for a walk.  How horrible is that!?!?!

Wait it gets better!  About 15 minutes before the pick-up time, Susanne and I realized just how far we were from making a complete loop and I quickly called my fabulous friend Amy to see if she could come to my rescue.  I knew she had to be on her way to pick up her son, Jacob and I was hoping she could grab Sam at the same time too.  Amy would be able to take the kids to the gross motor skills room and hang out there until I reached the preschool.  All went well with the call for help and I felt a big sigh of relief knowing Sam was in good hands. 

I chatted with Amy and watched the kids play for a little while once I got there.  Sam was super excited to show me the seeds they planted in class and lifted the potted container up high for me to see.  Me, being clumsy and a little distracted, waved my arm in conversation and the next thing you know, Sam is wearing the entire container of the potting soil and seeds.  Oh my!  It literally started on her head, went down her shirt, in her pants and landed on/in her shoes.  She was more than a little surprised at what happened and stood there stunned wearing the soil.  I think I made her speechless, which take it from me, is pretty hard to do.

OH MY GAWD!  Could I feel like a worse mother?  First I am 25 minutes late picking my little girl and then I pretty much dump an entire container of potting soil directly on her. 

I was able to salvage picking up a lot of the soil and putting it back in the container.  We did bring it home and put it in a prominent place so that it would start to grow.  I think I need to throw in some new seeds as I am not sure I managed to scrape them back in too.

What a day!  Susanne and I will one day look back and laugh at what we thought we could do in an hour's time, and who knows, we may even decide to walk Burke Lake Park again during the school day.  It will just have to wait until next year when we have a longer amount of time to do it in and we aren't wading through ankle deep mud or balancing walking across fallen trees to get to a dry area.  It was certainly an adventure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment