Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

It's sort of a surprise.

I found out quickly when dating Jeff that if he ever was planning a surprise or had bought me any kind of present, he couldn't keep it a secret longer the amount of time it takes him to drive home and see me. 

Like father, like son.  Ian is showing more and more signs of being exactly like Jeff.  The other day I picked him up from school and this is the conversation that followed. 

Me:  Ian, how was school today?

Ian:  It was good.  When you go into my back pack, don't unroll the blue paper.  That is your Mother's day present.

Me:  Ah, Ian.  That is so sweet.  How about you go in your back pack, retrieve it and put it away until May 8th, when Mother's day is?

Ian:  Yes!  That's a good idea.  But I am going to give it to you on May 1st.  I want you to have an early Mother's day present.

Me:  Ok, Ian it's up to you, but it would be nice if you waited until Mother's day.

Ian:  Actually I am going to give it to you tomorrow.

Me:  Really, Ian?  You don't want to wait?

Ian:  Here it is. 

Mind you, we live less than 2 minutes from the school and before we even hit our driveway, the entire blue roll of paper was unfurled and the painting was out in all its glory.

Ian had made in art class a picture of his hands holding flowers.  It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen.  The fingers were complete with finger nails and knuckle lines.  The flowers were in blue and purple colors with green stems.  There was a sun and some sky.  I was so proud of him.  Ian said he did his best, but a lot of the kids were able to put petals on the flowers.  He said he ran out of time.  I love it just the way it was.  I told him so.  I said, "Ian, it is perfect exactly the way it is because you made it out of love."  He replied, "Well, I made it out of paint."

Ian wanted to know if I was going to hang it on the wall in the kitchen with some of his other artwork.  I had an even better idea on what to do with it.  This piece was special and deserved special treatment.  I purchased a frame and hung it in my bedroom. 

At the end of the day it doesn't matter he couldn't wait until Mother's day to give me this.  I've gotten lots of experience of having the surprise happen way before its time.  It is enough of a surprise when I open it up and see what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment