Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012

All for a good cause.

It's amazing how quickly you can lose the endurance, stamina and physical condition your body achieves.  After surviving the marathon on November 20th, I was burned out from running and have barely set foot back in the gym, let alone run even a 1/4 of a mile.   I think I might just now be missing the running and that awesome feeling of having done it, but every time I decide to get back in the game, I change my mind.

My next big fitness challenge is the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.  When I originally registered to do this event, I was certain that the walking 26.2 miles the first day and 13.1 miles the 2nd day was going to be relatively easy for me.  I mean, come on, I was logging some crazy miles each week training those last few months of the marathon.  It was the fundraising part that had me most concerned. 

Lo and behold, the fundraising part has gone splendidly.  I am so proud to say I was able to raise (as of today's date) $2,460.29.  This is $660 over the minimum required.  Wow!  How awesome is that!?!?  I no longer am worried that Jeff might leave me over having to self-pledge the amount I failed to fundraise.  Beyond that, this is a cause I feel passionate about and am so thrilled to do a great job going above and beyond. 

It's now time to go out there and lace up my shoes once again and hit the pavement.  I recently did a 10 mile walk with a few teammates.  We went twice around Burke Lake Park.  In all my weeks of running and training for the marathon, I was never this sore.  Oy!  This was definitely a wake-up call to get back out there.  I've got about 7 weeks to go and will need to concentrate on not only building up the mileage, but doing it in back-to-back days. 

I don't give up easily.  I will carve out the time and do it.  I may not finish first (Ha!  I am sure I will never know what that feels like, no matter what the sport/event), but I am going to give it my all and get the job done. 

Of course, right about now, I am thinking what did I get myself in to?  I hadn't gone back down that road of thought since the morning of Sunday, November 20, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment