Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Swimming lessons continued...

Believe it or not, these swim lessons are still creating lots of drama for me.  I was hoping that by now (well, truth be told, after the 1st lesson) that Jeff and I could fully divide & conquer.  I would take Sam for her lesson at 10:00am and be long gone by the time Jeff got there with Ian, for his lesson at 11:00am.  Ha!

I can't do it.  I simply can't leave the building knowing Ian is about to have his lesson.  There is something in me that has me stuck to the chair wanting to watch Ian.  I've become obsessed where they've placed him and who his instructor is.

While I love the place we are taking the swim lessons and can't beat the price, convenience of location or the parking situation, I fully realize that the right instructor will make or break the lesson.  Now, that I've made certain that Sam and Ian will never have that first chick, the instructors for one reason or another, keep changing.  Oy!   The irony is, the assistant swim director sees me first thing in the morning and comes over to fill me in on who my kids are having.  It is quite funny really, given that she doesn't bother to tell any of the other parents their kids are getting a different instructor.   I told her it is fine if Ian gets somebody different each time, but my 3 year old can't seem to go with the flow.  I need to give her a little warning if there will be a new teacher. 

They got a clue pretty quickly when Sam was given her 3rd new teacher in 4 weeks and refused to go in the pool.  Now they've assured me Miss A. will be back each Saturday.   You should see how I talked up Miss A. for the 6 days leading up to her 2nd lesson with her.  Anyone listening nearby would've thought Miss A. was my long lost sister.

I am not certain why they can't seem to keep consistency from week to week, but I've long stopped questioning that.  Now I am sitting on the edge of seat, with my eyes glued to the pool, making sure both kids are in the water and moving.  There is still a class (Ian's old group) standing by the side of pool hardly doing anything.  Yes, I am watching all the kids get their lessons!

I don't think I have it in me to walk away and let these lessons happen without me watching.  The endless grilling of questions I would give Jeff and Ian upon their return would be longer than the lesson itself.  And anyone who has seen Jeff at the lessons knows that its "Angry Birds" that has his attention.

Maybe this is what helicopter parenting is all about.  If so, then I am definitely in the pilot's seat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment