Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

When can you fit us in?

I am up to my eye balls in drs appointments.  Each week I've been going to anywhere from 1 to 6 appointments a week.  Some are with Sam, some are without.   Between my follow-up blood work for Celiac, visiting the dentist (it just happened to be time for my bi-annual cleaning), all the therapy Sam and I are doing, and her GI appointment on Wednesday morning, I think we've maxxed out the FSA account in co-pays alone.  It's crazy! 

Just when I thought I was done with drs for the week, Ian pulled a real humdinger. Yesterday morning, Ian's eye looked a little red.  I wasn't sure if it was pink eye (we've never had pink eye in our house before) or if his eye was a little irritated.  I went with my gut instinct and sent him to school. 

Meanwhile, I've given Sam something to induce diarrhea and was fighting with her to put a pull-up on before I left her at preschool.  While in full wrestling mode, my cell phone rings and it's Ian's school.  He hasn't even been there for 30 minutes and they are calling. 

School:  "Hi Mrs, Toppall, could you please come pick up Ian?  He has pink eye. It's going around the school and two kids have already had to be called."

Me:  "Yes, of course, I'll be right there"   Ha! Ha!  If the nurse only saw what I still had to accomplish before I could leave Sam at her school and go get Ian.

On my way to get Ian, I call the pediatrician and make an appointment for him to be seen in the next hour.   Here is our conversation in the car ride over:

Me:  "Ian, did the teacher take one look at you and send you to the nurse?"

Ian:  "No, I raised my hand and said,  I have pink eye."

WHAT!!???!?  OMG!  No, I'm not looking like the worst mother in the world or anything. 

Once at the drs office, Ian was NOT diagnosed with pink eye.  There was no gunk coming out of his eye.  Therefore, he does not have pink eye.  Ian was diagnosed with allergies. The first year ever it is affecting him.  We got some drops prescribed and Allegra to give Ian some relief. 

Ian and I made good use of his time out of school and we went for lunch at Panera Bread (his choice), followed by frozen yogurt (my choice).  After picking Sam up from school, playing in her school's playground, going to CVS to pick up the medicine and heading back home, Ian says to me he is ready to go back to school.  WHAT!?!?!  There is only 1 hour left in the school day.  I try to tell Ian its okay for him to take the rest of the day off.  He insists on going back to school.  Ok, then.  Off to school he goes.  Good thing Ian's dr gave us a note informing the school it is only allergies and not pink eye.

And without batting an eye, we managed to fit in another drs appointment this week.  Let's hope today is doctor free.  I think we all need to start eating apples regularly -- an apple a day, keeps the doctor away.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment