Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A birthday treat for 7

The weekend before last, my co-conspirator (Kelly) and I planned a girl's weekend to celebrate Jen's birthday.  It was a big one and we wanted to do something memorable to ring in this new decade. 

For several months Kelly and I have been meeting, unbeknownst to Jen, and planning this surprise getaway for her.  Oh what fun we've had coming up with the plans over lunch and/or ice cream (depending if Sam was in on the meeting too).  We wanted a weekend that would be relaxing, laid-back, not too expensive, and easy to get to.  I thought of my friend Ivy's parent's place at Chesapeake Beach and knew it would be perfect.  It's only an hour's drive to get to, but yet, you feel like you are a hundred miles away.  The views of the water from her parent's place is breathtaking and the place is spacious enough to accommodate a small crowd. 

From Friday night to Sunday late morning, we had 6 of Jen's close friends, plus Ivy, join us for 36+ hours of a kid-free, movie-watching, game-playing, pedicure-getting, good time.  Not only was this getaway for Jen, but it was a treat for all of us too. In those 36 hours, I got to the point where I missed the kids.  Really, I did.  I actually came back home on Sunday and felt relaxed.  Jeff did an amazing job while I was gone and still was in Command Central mode the remainder of Sunday.  He did the grocery shopping, took the kids to their swim lesson, made dinner on Sunday (even after I had been back for 5 hours), did a ton of yard work and handled Sam (with all her issues) like a champ.  It was a beautiful thing and I am incredibly grateful I was able to be gone and not feel guilty walking back in the door, thinking they all just barely survived in my absence.  Actually, far, far from it. 

It's amazing how just a small amount of time can make a big difference.  I've come to the conclusion that time away from the family is necessary for my sanity.  Feeling relaxed makes me feel like I can handle the day-to-day easier and not count down the minutes until Jeff walks in the door at the end of the weekday.  It's refreshing to feel like I am back to being a good mom again.  One who isn't on the verge of yelling at any given moment or ready to break down into tears.

I am not sure how long the benefits of the girl's weekend will last for me, hopefully until it is time to celebrate another occasion that calls for just this kind of fun.  Even if that occasion is just a random Saturday and Sunday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment