Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Home

I am very happy to report on Sunday my mom got discharged from the hospital.  It took the better part of a day to get the final O.K,, but it was worth the wait.  Once we got home, my mom decided to take a nap and it was wonderful knowing that nothing was going to interrupt this period of rest.  No nurses, no doctors, no hospital personnel checking in.  No sirreee!

I have two full days left before I head back to my other life -- wife, mother, general crazy-person running around all over the place. But for now, I am just a daughter.  There is something calming about putting all my energy and focus on one thing.

I miss Jeff and the kids like crazy. I've never been gone this long before.  Thank G-d for Skype and I get my chance to check in on them and see their adorable faces each day. 

In the meantime, my mom, Jim and I have been hanging out. My mom's recovery is going well and I know that by the time I come back in August with the kids, she'll be back up and running.

There were so many moments when my mom was waking up from the anesthesia that were hilarious, but one of the funniest was when she looked down at her chest and got all excited. 
Mom:  "Look!!  The surgeon didn't cut me at all!  I have no scar!  Isn't this unbelievable?   He did the whole entire surgery and didn't even have to cut me open!"   
Me:  "Mom, yes, they did cut you.  You have a bandage covering it up."
Mom:  "No!!  I don't even have a bandage!!  It's all my skin!  This is unbelievable!!"
Me:  "No, Mom.  That "skin" is the bandage. Your chest is all covered in a flesh-colored bandage."
Mom:  "Oh."

The anesthesia lasted in my mom's body for a full day after the surgery.  She was pretty much completely out of it all day Wednesday.  She'd wake up and then fall back asleep in mid-sentence.  This was her pattern during our 30 minute visits.  During each waking period (which lasted only a minute, maybe two), she'd say or do something that had us giggling.

Me (watching my mom hooked up to at least 10 different tubes and wires trying to get up and leave):  Where are you going?
Mom:  To the 3rd floor.
Me:  Why?
Mom:  I have to say hello to everyone there.

We still don't know what was on the 3rd floor that appealed to my mom so much.  She had never been to the 3rd floor of the hospital.  But she was very intent on trying to get up and leave her ICU room.

Another time when she briefly woke-up, I asked her if she was thirsty and would like some water.  She put her hand up in my direction and said, "Wait".  Then she looked at the nurse and said, "I can't have any water, right?  Because I am supposed to have surgery soon."

About 3 or 4 different times she'd look at me and ask what year it was.  That's it -- not what day or month, but what year.

And lastly, at one point, while still heavily medicated and hooked up to a million different tubes, she said in a whispered voice, "I'm ready to leave now.  You can take me home."

No comments:

Post a Comment