Pages

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Spectacularly Serendipitous

Back in May 2008, when Sam was born 5 weeks early, clearly the stars and moon were aligned. Having the kids born within one week of each other has proven to be a wonderful thing. I am able to throw their birthday parties in the same weekend and knock them out in one fell swoop. I love it! Not only is the weekend that I pick smack dab in the middle of Sam's birthday (which is the 23rd) and Ian's birthday, (which is the 31st), but it is a holiday weekend to boot. Got to love it! When my family from Florida flies in and Jeff's family makes the trek from Maryland, they get a lot of bang for their buck! No having to decide which kids' birthday party to go to that year. They get two parties for the price of one trip. Now, that my friends, is a very efficient birthing strategy. 

Since Ian was born, seven years ago, my mom has never missed a birthday. Unfortunately this year, some major health reasons kept her from coming to town. It was tough for her not to come, and it was equally tough for us and the kids to not have her here to celebrate with us. But, it was the best decision possible for her to stay home and not risk it. I know that her missing this year will mean that we get many, many more years with her. 

However, we did get my dad, Stepmom and sister, Meghan here for the weekend. This was a wonderful treat and I had a smile on my face since the day I found out they were coming. To say I am close to my parents is like saying Mac & Cheese go together. I couldn't ask for a better family. They are funny, fun and lively. It's impossible not to laugh and have a good time being around them. Seriously, you can't ask for better parents, steparents, and siblings then the ones I've been fortunate to be born to.

The whole weekend was phenomenal. Sam's party was on Saturday at Color Me Mine in Fairfax Corner. Ian's party was at Burke Racquet and Swim Club on Sunday. From meeting for lunch at PF Changs to going to Sam's party, to coming back to the house for dinner on Saturday, the whole day flowed perfectly. It was so wonderful being around the family. I loved every single minute of it. It made me incredibly wistful to want to live closer to everyone and give my kids this kind of time with their relatives much more frequently. I guess it makes us treasure these experiences and not take them for granted when we do get together.

Here's a list of the best of the best moments (according to me!):

-Dad rock climbing at Ian's party.  This one moment made my entire weekend.  I know it was supposed to be all about the kids' and their birthdays, but I absolutely loved that my dad got off his chair and wanted to participate.  This was the best ever.  My dad is going to be 66 years old in 2 weeks and he showed all the kids a thing or two.  Way to go, Dad!  You still got it! 


Dad and me ringing the bell at the top of the wall. Waiting for my dad to reach the top and ring the bell together was not optional!  We were in it together.

 -Meghan and Rita talking a good game on how they play Monopoly brilliantly and will not lose against Ian. Ian showing them a thing or two and winning!





-Dad, Rita and Meghan walking in my house Friday night, thinking dinner was moments away from being served and seeing instead, Ian, Sam and me in the middle of frosting 7 dozen cookies. They instantly sat down and helped us finish.

-Both sets of grandparents coming to Toys R Us when Ian picked out his new bike from Grandpa and Grandma Toppall

-Rita jumping in and having fun at each of the parties. She painted pottery at Sam's and rock climbed at Ian's. Way to go on being super cool!






-Sam getting a new bike from Nana and Papa Mazer and getting to ride it while they were here.


-How incredibly well-behaved 11 three and four year olds were at Sam's party. It was drop-off and the kids were amazing sitting at a table for 1.5 hours. They even raised their hands when they needed something.



-My sister Meghan (who is 21 years younger than me) buying clothes for Ian and Sam as part of their birthday presents. I remember when Meghan was my kids' ages and I would buy her clothes.

It's like no time is lost when we all get together. The kids will be in Florida for 3 weeks in August and get to spend lots more time with the family. Plus, we have a family vacation planned for Myrtle Beach in October. Usually Go-Carting is our family's thing. We are fiercely competitive, even though everyone knows I am the best and fastest driver (hehehehe), but love to talk a good game how we will take each other down. When I saw how much fun everyone was having with the rock climbing, I vowed to find an indoor rock climbing place in Myrtle Beach. We will have to do this again.  I loved seeing this side of my dad and Rita.  It was definitely the highlight of my weekend.   A note to Lori, Ben and Jeff - you have 4 months to train!

No comments:

Post a Comment