Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

It's all about family.


 "You don't choose your family.  They are God's gift to you, as you are to them." -- Desmond Tutu

"I don't care how poor a man is; if he has family, he's rich."  ~Dan Wilcox and Thad Mumford, "Identity Crisis," M*A*S*H

"Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts."  ~Author Unknown

A favorite week for me this Summer just recently ended.  We started it off with Ian and Sam going to "Gramps Camp".  From Monday to Thursday, they had a most excellent time with Jeff's parents.  They went bowling, to the movies, to the pool, the Science Center and many restaurants for lunches and dinners.  Sam and Ian were on their best behavior and a glowing report was given upon their return.  I definitely see more Gramps Camp in their future.  Yay! 

Picking the kids up on Thursday.
Grandpa and Ian at lunch.

It was wonderful to have a few days kid-free and get stuff done.  I took a pediatric first-aid/CPR class (for my upcoming preschool job), worked for the Crazy Man, and spent some quality time at the movies.  I recommend "The Way, Way, Back."  if you are looking for something to see. 

The fun continued for all of us as Jeff and I picked Ian and Sam up from Grandma and Grandpa's house on Thursday and traveled North to New Jersey.  We had planned a play date with my cousin Leslie and her kids.  They live in CT, so meeting at my Aunt and Uncle's house in Cherry Hill is the halfway point for each of us.  It's perfect and gives me the opportunity to spend time with my Aunt and Uncle too.

Many, many months ago, we had planned for Jeff/Ian to go to a baseball game with Max and Max's father, Matt.  Matt wasn't able to come, so my Uncle Bernard took his place.   Ian is a big National's fan and Max is a big Phillies fan.  We made sure to pick them playing against each other at Citizen Park Stadium in Philadelphia.

I most nervous about the gloomy forecast (thunderstorms!) and the possibility the game would get cancelled.  Fortunately, it turned out to be a beautiful night and the boys made it to the very end of the game.  They had a fantastic time, filled with tons of stadium food, great seats and a deep love for their respective teams.  The Phillies won 3 to 1 if you want to know.


Two peas in a pod.  When they come together, its like no time has passed.
While they were at the game, the girls (me, Sam, my Aunt Beth, Cousin Leslie and her daughter Ellie - age 4 1/2), went out to dinner and to Rita's Water Ice.  It was a great evening.  

Ellie doesn't like getting her picture taken. 
She was pretty sure she wasn't going to be included in this picture.  She was wrong.  :)

The next morning, the kids played a bit, I went for a 5 mile walk (!!!!) and we hit the road home.




I love it when plans work out.  Even better when the weather cooperates too. And, I love getting to see my relatives.  There is nothing like family.  My Toppall team and I are so fortunate to be related to the most amazing people -- both sides, Jeff and me.

I only wish we lived closer and could see grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and sister-in-laws/brother-in-laws more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment