Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Size Small? Really?

Last weekend I went away for a few days to Solomon's Island, MD with some of my girlfriends.  We had a great 48 hours.  On our way out of town, a few of us seeked out the one and only retail shop that sold clothes.  We had no idea what kind of store we were walking into, but we were women on a mission and as long as shopping was involved, we were game. 

The store we stumbled upon was like nothing I've ever seen before.  There was women's clothing everywhere!!  It appeared to be a house with many rooms (all on the main floor) that was converted into a boutique type shop.  The clothes seemed to be color coordinated and grouped together.  It was big-time sensory overload trying to take it all in.  You could literally be in the same small room for 20 minutes and still keep discovering new items.  Some clothes were piled on top of each other, some were on hangers, and others were artfully draped on various arm chairs.  There weren't more than 2 or 3 of each item, and if you were lucky, your size was one of them. 

The clothing was unique and you felt compelled to keep looking through each room to see what treasures were within.  Since the clothing was a little on the pricey side, all four of us spent more time in the 50% off room than any of the others.  I went into this store thinking I shouldn't be shopping...it was ok to look, but I really didn't need to buy anything.  However, when we moved into the main room where the register was located, it was then while my friends were paying for their purchases, that a dress spoke to me.  It was really pretty and quite different than the usual clothes I wear.  I am not a person who usually wears dresses.  More than anything because I don't easily find dresses that look good for my body type, which can best be described as short-waisted, round and lumpy. 

It didn't take long for encouragement from my friends telling me to try on the dress.  There was only one small hitch, it was a size small.  I wasn't even born a size small.  There was no way it was going to fit.  This was silly to even consider trying it on.  But, hey, when your friends start encouraging you, it can become a very persuasive voice.  I joked that if this dress fits, I'd be wearing it on the drive home. 

Guess what?  It fit!  And not only did it fit, but it looked good.

Now, I don't foolishly think that I am actually a size-small wearing girl.  Hardly!  I am positive that this dress was miss-sized.  The label in the dress and the tag itself both said "Small", but again, its hard to believe that I would ever fit in something actually a size small. 

It didn't take long to convince me to buy it.  Heck, just knowing it said "Small" in the dress was enough to make me start taking out my wallet.  I think this could be a new marketing move, put the size "Small" in more upscale clothing and watch the bigger-size women flock to buy it. 

The card attached to the dress described it as "An everyday dress".  I could easily wear this dress every day, just knowing I am walking around in something sized "Small."   Isn't it great how your mind can play with you like that?  So when you bump into me around town, and I wearing the same thing over and over again, just know that I do have other clothes in my closet, but none are a size small. 

I didn't wear the dress home, but I did wear a smile on my face for the 1.5 hour drive back to NoVa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment