Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Sam, Swimming, and Survival.

I have one last post about our week at the beach.  This one involves Sam and her ability to swim. 

My dream is to be sitting on a chair (wearing regular clothes) with my kindle in one hand, reading a book, while the kids are splashing around in the pool having a great time with their friends.   I see other moms regularly doing this and I drool with envy. I figure I am about 2 years away from it being optional if I get wet or not. 

My reality is that I HAVE TO wear a bathing suit and need to be in the water, within arm's reach of Samantha, G-d forbid something should happen.  Even with lifeguards around, I take full responsibility for watching my kids in the water.  This is my job to make sure they are safe.

While we were at the pool during our week at Emerald Isle, I stepped out of the pool and sat on a nearby chair to dry off.  I kept my eye on Sam who was hanging on to her inner tube, floating around the pool.  At one point, Sam and her float wandered to the middle of the pool, where the water was way over her head.  She accidentally came out of the inner tube and slipped under the water.  I got to my feet and quickly walked to the edge of the pool that was the closest to where she was.  I was very ready to jump in and get her, but noticed something very cool.  As soon as Sam realized her inner tube floated away from her and she was in over her head, her survival instincts kicked in and she began the swim to the side of the pool.  She didn't panic and used her head.  She instantly knew what she needed to do and did it.  I was so proud of her!  When she reached the side, I pulled her out and gave her a HUGE hug and kiss. 

And as I was describing what just happened to my friend Kelly, Sam went right back in the water and ended up doing the whole thing again.  This second situation was also an accident on her part.   Sam did it twice!

Sam has been taking swim lessons all year long.  I knew she can swim, but I would never have known that she could hold her own in a 'crisis' situation, unless I had seen it for myself.  She didn't panic!  That's my girl! 

No comments:

Post a Comment