Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Cupcake Madness

I've gone off the deep end.  There I admit it.  I am full aware of how absurd this behavior is.  I have now been to Georgetown Cupcakes (you know the cupcake shop used in the TLC show, "DC Cupcakes") 3 times (YES, YOU READ CORRECTLY!!  Not once, not twice, but three times people!!!) in a 3 week period. 

The first time, as earlier reported, was with the kids during the Columbus day holiday.  I had never been before and thought it would be fun to take the kids. See what all the hype is about.  So we stood in line and got our cupcake on! 

The second time came a week later when Jeff and I found ourselves in Georgetown for a friend's son's baptism.  Sam and Ian were being watched by Jen and her family while we were away for the church ceremony and the party afterwards.  I knew how much Jen loves cupcakes and couldn't possibly be thisclose to the cupcake shop without getting her half dozen as a token of my appreciation.  As I was standing in line with my friend Kristin (who drove with us), Jeff was circling around the Georgetown area.  I even mentioned to Kristin how nutty it was that I am standing in this line again -- just a week later!  Fortunately I have no need to come back here again.  This visit will be it for a long time.

I text Jeff and tell him we've got the goods and to drive around to the entrance.  As we get in the car and head towards Ivy's house, Jeff asks where his cupcake is.  WHAT!?!?!?!?!  What do you mean where is your cupcake?  I laugh in response.  Um, no, I don't have a cupcake for you. I only got the 1/2 dozen for Jen and her family.  Jeff can't believe I didn't get him one.  I can't believe I was supposed to.  It never occurred to me that he would want one.  I feel bad.  Just as I should've asked Jeff if he wanted me to get him one, Jeff should've made sure his desires for a cupcake were known (before I got out of the car to stand in line!).  I feel like we are both equally at fault.  Jeff truly was hoping for a cupcake. 

I come up with a plan.  Jeff's birthday is one week later and fortunately falls on a Saturday.  I can go a third time (this is me getting crazy!!!) and get him a cupcake. This will help make up for it.  I know, I won't get just one cupcake, I will get a whole dozen.  That should do it.  I subtly mention to Jeff my plan (more than a few times) during the week leading up to his birthday.  He is very vocal about never wanting anything.  And he makes it abundantly clear he never wants me to make a fuss or get him any presents.  I keep thinking Jeff is going to tell me forget it and not make the trip back to Georgetown Cupcakes.  Ha!  Not once does he say this.  I guess I am going a third time in 3 weeks.

For my third trip, I finally get smart and find out you can order ahead of time.  I pick out which cupcakes I want (Hello Gluten-free Peanut Butter Fudge!) and pay in advance via their website.  I just have to drive down to D.C., find a parking spot (or double park) and skip the line.  Yay!   I arrive 2 minutes early before they open and drive once around the block before locating a legal spot.  I am back in the car within 3 minutes with the goods in hand.  Easy-breezy.

Now I can say I am done.  Any more trips to get cupcakes and they are going to know me.  That can't be a good thing!

The results of my third trip.  Yum-O!
I would've taken a picture of the full dozen, but Jeff ate one too quickly.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment