Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Not as with "IT" as I think.

As of January 26th, I gave up my unlimited data plan on my cell phone.  I had been grandfathered in for years.  I paid $30 a month and could use all the data I wanted.  It didn't matter if I streamed episode after episode of "Breaking Bad".  It didn't matter if I watched YouTube videos or surfed Facebook.  I had no limits and was not in jeopardy of going over.  It was a freedom that I loved.  I never intended to give it up.  However, if I ever wish to upgrade my phone, I can no longer be grandfathered in.  Therefore, when the new iPhone 5S came out, I had a tough decision to make.  Do I get the new phone and give up the unlimited data plan or be content with the iPhone 4S I have now and enjoy my limitless data?   Oh, to have these first world problems.  :)

I decided to sit and wait.  Then Jeff's phone broke and he needed to get a new one.  He had no choice to but to go off the unlimited data plan and be put on the 2GB plan they offer.  It turns out that by going to the 2GB data plan, we will save money each month.  If I make the switch with him, we could save $40 a month together.  Wow.  Now I am convinced it is worth it to make the switch.  Especially after the Verizon lady does a quick analysis and tells me that I never even come close to using 2GB of data each month.  Sure, maybe not now, but what happens when they invent that next new thing that requires a ton of data usage?  What will happen then!??!   I guess this is a chance I'll just have to take.

Now that I made the leap, there is no reason to not get the iPhone 5S, especially after the Verizon lady tells me that I'll be given $199 as a trade-in value for my current phone and this will completely cover the cost of the new iPhone 5S.  I grab my purse and head to the Verizon store to get the upgrade. 

After waiting 30 minutes for an available sales person, I have my order put in the system.  I ask the guy about transferring over all my stored info in the phone (notes, reminders, photos, etc).  He says it would take way too long to transfer and he can only do the contacts.  He says I should do a back-up before handing over the phone.  He is happy to charge me the $200 for the new phone and then credit me later the $200 when I bring back the old phone.  Um, no thank you.  I'll just give you the old phone now.  Meanwhile, he says to go look at the cases and see if I want to get one.  I can't find one I like.  Not even a little bit.  It took me FOREVER to find the case I have now.  As we all know, the case for the 4S is not compatible with the 5S.  Why, oh why?!?!  I am hating the fact that I will have to settle on something I don't like.  The sales guy asks me about other accessories.  What about a charger for the car?   Ugh.  That's right.  None of my current chargers, adapters, etc will be compatible either.  I can no longer just plug my phone in any of the gazillion chargers I already have for my phone and the iPads.  So not fun.  I am now getting depressed about starting over with everything.  What is happening to me!?!?!  This isn't the Robyn I've grown to love.  I used to lose sleep getting so excited about the next new thing.  Now I am finding myself very content when my phone still works and doesn't need to be messed with.

The sales guy sees my hesitation and lack of enthusiasm over getting the phone and offers a suggestion.  Don't get it.  Wow, he is actually advocating losing a sale.  And it would be a big one with all the extra things I'd need to buy with the phone.  The sales guy actually tells me I should just wait for the next version of the iPhone to come out and then get that one.  I guess he doesn't want to see me back in the store for a long time. 

I thank him for his honesty and leave.  And with that, I still have my iPhone 4S and now 2GB of data to use each month. Somehow this doesn't feel like progress.  Could I be growing up? I am totally ok with saving money on not having an unlimited data plan that I wasn't really using lots of anyway.  And not needing the newest iPhone because what I have now works just fine?  Hmmm.  I guess so.  At age 42, my "needs" have won out over my "wants". 

No comments:

Post a Comment