Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Roots

I think I am going to Israel.  OMG!  I can't believe I just typed that sentence.  And I can't believe this trip may actually happen.  It's getting exciting for this mom of two from Burke, VA.  

My sister Meghan did a trip last Summer to Israel with Birthright.  Birthright's focus is to strengthen the Jewish identity and make a connection for young Jewish people.  The age range on who can go is 18 to 26 years old.  The trip is heavily subsidized and gives an amazing opportunity to a young Jewish person on experiencing the culture.

Meghan's time in Israel sounded magical.  I was completely mesmerized with her stories and loved that she got to experience all of this.   I kept thinking if they only offered something like this for older Jews like myself.  Going to Israel was never on my radar.  The distance (halfway around the world!), the expense and having young kids at home were enough obstacles to put the idea of traveling to Israel on the back burner; way, way back on the back burner. I mean just say I could come up with the money, I couldn't go for just a week and then come back home.  Flying that far requires staying longer and taking it all in.   If I had the time available to be away, the thousands of dollars for plane, hotel and sightseeing would make it near impossible to justify.  While it would be a dream to go to Israel, I never thought it was possible.

I recently found out about JWRP (Jewish Women's Renaissance Project) www.jwrp.org.  They do a Jewish moms version of Birthright. Various cities come together and send groups of Jewish moms to experience Israel.  The idea is make that Jewish connection and transform and grow through the experience.  Upon your return, be inspired and take an active role in the community, while also instilling the Jewish values within your family.  The ideal participant is a Jewish mom who has kids living at home under the age of 18.  As with Birthright, the trip is heavily subsidized and only requires paying for airfare and incidentals.

I applied for the trip!!  Holy moly!!!   It all feels like it is happening so fast, but if I am picked, the trip would leave on June 29th.  Like this Summer!  As in 4 1/2 months!!!  I met with the woman last Wednesday who runs the program for the D.C. area.  I was so nervous!  First day of school jitters kind of nervous.  I am still not sure I made sense or spoke in complete sentences.  I feel like I babbled my way through all the questions and answers.  And of course on the drive home, I thought of all this wonderful stuff I should've said. Isn't that always the case?

My friend Dawn applied to go on this trip too.  Her interview was on Friday.  She called me after it was over and filled me in on how it went.  According to the woman who interviewed us both, we are in.  Dawn said she loved us and wished there were more women like us who applied from the NoVa area.  I won't believe I've been accepted until I see it in writing.  The decision gets announced in March.  However, ever since Dawn told me how her interview went, this trip is all I can think about.  I can picture myself there.  The sample itinerary on the Website is amazing.  Not only is it all the great sites (dead sea, Western Wall, etc), but there are many lectures/classes mixed in throughout the days.  This itinerary really spoke to me. It sounds like a dream trip!   Camel rides, kayaking on the Jordan River, challah baking class -- so, so cool!

It will be a long couple of weeks until I hear officially if I've been selected.  I've already worked out the childcare issues.  Jeff parent's have very graciously agreed to take Ian and Sam for half of it.  The other half I will sign the kids up for full day camp at a place nearby our house.  Jeff will still be able to work and it should be manageable.

What a way to kick off the Summer!

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic opportunity, I am grateful to have been to Israel three times in my life (the first time with my family when I was 5 - yes, my parents were nuts). It was life-changing each time. I would go back every year if I had the time and money. I sincerely hope you are selected.

    ReplyDelete