Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

Valentine's Day 2014

I decided to do something a little different for the kids for Valentine's day.  I came up with the idea to surprise them when they woke up on Friday morning with their doors covered in hearts; each one stating a reason why Jeff and I loved them so much.  I cut out hearts in various sizes and different colors (pink, red, white) and even used glitter glue on a few when writing to jazz them up a bit. Additionally, I created a banner up at the top of the door that said, "We LOVE...." and another at the bottom of the door that said, "Happy Valentine's Day!  Love, Mommy and Daddy"   And to top off this homemade creation, I found a "LOVE" banner that I hung across the bathroom door which is located directly across from their bedrooms.  The whole thing was constructed and put in place after the kids went to bed on Thursday night.  Additionally, Jeff bought each of the kids a card and I had gotten them Valentine's boxes of chocolate in designs they would like (Football for Ian, Hello Kitty for Sam).

How sweet, right?   Um, not so much.

I was so excited to see their reaction when they first woke up.  Sam got up first, got a kick out of her door, but wouldn't let either Jeff or me read her the 14 reasons we had written on the hearts.  She was pretty darn sure she could read each one on her own. Every time I started to read her one, she yelled, "I CAN DO IT!!!!!".  Ha!  Considering that one of the hearts said "How you love to learn to read", this was quite ironic.  Oy!  Who knows if she actually figured out what the hearts said or not.  I tried hard to get a few of them said out loud before getting screamed at.  How sweet for me.  :)

The older kid wakes up next.  He looks at his door, promptly slams it shut and goes back to bed.  It's another 20 minutes before he opens his door, tells us he does not like the hearts at all and wants them down.  Right now!  I was not expecting that reaction at all.  Ian especially does not like the heart that says "How you are with Samantha".  I told him to leave the hearts up until the end of the day.  I worked hard on the doors and want to enjoy it at least for a few hours.  Ian said he'd be inside his room until Valentine's day was over.  Ha!  Ian was acting like he experienced a bad break-up on the 14th of February and still hadn't gotten over the girl.  What got into him!?!?!  Jeff and I are not used to seeing Ian so grumpy early in the day.  I definitely didn't see that coming. 

When Ian emerged to go to the bathroom, I quickly seized the opportunity to run into his room and put the card and box of chocolates on his pillow.  After the trip to the bathroom,  he went back into his room, closed the door again and I could hear him unrwapping the chocolate.  At least he had use for that.

Oh, and I was told to next year hang the "LOVE" banner higher up.  Apparently having it their height was too low.   And on Sunday, Ian came to me and said he wasn't a fan of the chocolates.  They are "too chewy".  Whatever. 

It's so nice to do something fun and special for your kids and not have it be appreciated.  I can't wait for them to see what I do next year.  It will require very little effort on my part.  Very, very little effort.   Who am I kidding?  By the time another 365 days roll around again, I'll be ready to come up with another kooky idea to show them how much we love them. 


Sam's door

Ian's door

No comments:

Post a Comment