Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Sledding and Snow

"A childhood without snow is not a good one." 

 - Ian Toppall on February 13, 2014


We've had plenty of snow this Winter.  There are no complaints from the kids on the lack of the white stuff this year.  With all the snow, the kids have had many opportunities to go sledding.  They have an absolute blast!  Is there anything more wholesome than sledding?  It doesn't require batteries, is not electronic, gets you outdoors and doesn't cost money.  What's not to love?!!?

We've been on the hunt for good hills to sled on that don't require a 15 minute drive down somewhat icy, snow-covered roads.  We've managed to find a great place to go that is loved by me (for ease of access getting there) and by the kids (for the steepness and length of the hill).  It is a win-win.

The first time we arrived (it's off of Shiplett for those reading this who are local), Sam hops on her sled almost immediately upon arrival and takes off.  Ian and I are watching her shoot down the hill.  She is like a bullet moving so fast.  Sam is fearless until she has reason not to be. Sam comes to a natural stop and while sitting upright in her sled starts crying -- LOUDLY!  Without hesitation, Ian takes off on foot to go to her.  He has amazing balance and reaches her within seconds.  Me, on the other hand, is scared to death I am going to fall on my face, my wrist, my butt, twist my ankle or a combination of all of the above trying to get to her.  After a full minute of doing my best to navigate this steep hill, I give up.  Sam is still crying and is getting louder and louder that I am not by her side. 

I do the next best thing I can think of to reach her.  I grab Ian's sled, hop in it and yell, "Hang on Sam!!  I'm coming to you!!"  With a quick push, I take off.  Like my butt is on fire.  I move faster than a speeding a bullet, faster than a locomotive, faster than a race car, faster than an Ostrich.  As I am FLYING down the hill I am also yelling "OOOOOOOHHHHHH SHHHHHIIIIIIITTTTTTTT" simultaneously.  Geez, I am moving.  I am moving so fast there is smoke coming off the back of the sled. 

I fly by Sam and Ian.  Their heads spin watching me zoom by them.  I am not even close to slowing down as I approach them.  This turn of events (seeing me in a blur pass them) is enough to get Sam distracted, forget why she is crying and get her to stand up.  Both their mouths drop open until I finally come to a stop.  Sam and Ian run to me and make sure I am ok.  Wow, that was fun.

From that moment on, Sam does not use her sled anymore.  She decides to sled either sitting on her butt or going down the hill on her tummy.  She feels she has more control that way. 

Ian, on the other hand, has decided to do the ramps made out of snow/ice by the kids who were there before him.  It is so much fun watching him 'catch air' and take off. 

These pictures were taken when we went back the next day with a few of the kids' friends:

Jeff helping the girls.  He is trying to pull
them back up the hill.

Sam and her friend.

Sam going down the hill on her tummy.

Ian and his friend sledding.

Ian catching some air!

Sam and Ian playfully push each other down the hill.



Ian and his friend.  Ian is on the right.

Sam and her friend trying to grab onto the sled.

No comments:

Post a Comment